Senior Chemistry Engineer / Research Chemist
Are you a chemist with an interest in laboratory automation? Do you also have great skills with flow chemistry and expertise in organic synthesis and compound route design? Perfect, at AstraZeneca in Gothenburg we are now hiring a Senior Chemistry Engineer / SeniorResearch Chemist to come join our engaged team within Discovery Sciences, Hit Discovery.
As a Senior Chemistry Engineer or Senior Research Chemist you will be part of a team focusing on the identification and implementation of new synthetic methodologies and automation technologies to the early phase of drug discovery. Ideally you have longtime experience with flow chemistry and are highly interested in laboratory automation.
In your role you will be responsible for the synthesis of new screening compounds on the available automated chemistry platform. You will also play a key role in the further development of this platform. The role also means working closely with chemists across AstraZeneca’s therapeutic areas to enable efficient progression of research projects from the Hit Discovery to the Lead Optimization phase. If you are equally attracted by technical challenges and synthetic chemistry, are fascinated by trying new things and have effective levels of communication then you are our kind of person.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Superuser of flow chemistry equipment.
- Synthesis of intermediates and final compounds for biological testing using automated synthesis and purification platform.
- Propose experimental strategies, troubleshoot laboratory-based problems and make a significant contribution to the delivery of the team.
- Actively collaborate with peers across therapeutic areas regarding compound and experiment design as well as application of available technologies.
- Plan, prioritise and perform own work.
- Maintain access to the best in- and external science.
- Identify, explore and apply cutting-edge synthesis and technology approaches.
- Enhance business reputation internally and externally through peer-reviewed publications, scientific posters and/or oral presentations.
- PhD in chemistry engineering or organic chemistry, alternatively MSc in one of these fields with minimum five years professional experience.
- Hands-on experience with flow chemistry equipment and/or other automated synthesis technologies.
- Expertise in theoretical and practical organic synthesis, compound route design, purification and analytical sciences.
- Comprehensive know-how of modern chemical literature and chemical technologies.
- Ability to prioritise and perform work independently, e.g. retro synthetic analysis and route design using literature, own knowledge and integration of ideas from colleagues.
- A track record of applying innovative chemistry solutions with resulting impact in project delivery.
If this sounds like the position and place for you, please apply now!
Welcome with your application no later than November 15th, 2019.
For further details around this position you are welcome to contact the hiring manager Michael Kossenjans at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Additional information about our fantastic city and site:
Our Gothenburg site: https://www.astrazeneca.com/our-science/gothenburg.html
Life in Gothenburg: https://www.movetogothenburg.com/
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.