R&D Data Policy Director
Sustainable, FAIR (Findable, Accessible, Interoperable & Reusable) data is the lifeline of AstraZeneca as a science-led, pure-play pharmaceutical company and critical for the delivery of the AstraZeneca corporate strategy, in which Data, AI and Digital is a foundational value driver for Innovative Science and a potential corporate differentiator.
Job holder will shape, implement and lead a Data Policy that balances benefit and risk for responsible reuse - in concert with data customers, CMO, legal, data privacy, information security, and corporate risk and compliance offices.
Accountable for strategy and execution that builds positive relationships and and efficient business processes with internal and external partners, based on excellent insight of customer needs, Legal, Ethical, and Security considerations, and standard methodology for Data Policy.
Critical member of the Policy Operational Team, Policy Council and contributor to wider R&D Data Policy strategy.
The selected candidate will be working on crafting, implementing and managing a Data policy that will balance benefit and risk for responsible reuse and will be required to employ a range of skills including policy expertise. Including project management, knowledge of external regulations e.g. GDPR and have an ability to develop strong relations and effective business processes with internal partners.
The R&D Data Policy Director will collaborate with a broad set-of partners, including members in the Data Office but also together with data customers, legal, information security, and corporate risk and compliance offices.
Job holder will be working on projects to continuously improve R&D / Enterprise-wide processes for Data Policy and reuse;
- Deputy chair for R&D Data Policy Council
- Managing leading edge Policy project across R&D and Enterprise
- Mentor and set clear direction for the team
- Define project requirements from interactions with senior partners and collaborators across R&D functions, oversee delivery and partner management
- Strong leadership capabilities including ability to set clear direction for team, and people management skills
- Develops novel solutions where off-the-shelf methodologies do not fit
- Finds opportunities to collaborate across teams to create cost savings and avoid duplication of efforts
- Expert policy adviser to senior members of staff
- Apply a comprehensive cross-functional and industry understanding in developing innovative solutions for policy
- Provide strong leadership to promote standard methodologies in leading policy as part of collaboration and internal / external data sharing initiatives
- Deliver and maintain practices on sharing clinical information within AstraZeneca and externally.
- Represent AZ externally, promoting AZ position and value proposition in this space. Be the exemplary leader with a point of view in this area, within AZ.
- Manage the shaping and development of Policy based on internal and external influences, including writing of policy documentation
- Relevant degree in Information/Data Science, Computer Science, Informatics, IT, Medical, life sciences, Legal or related subject area.
- Experience of pharma and the life sciences
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to build strong relationships.
- Strong project or programme management skills
- Excellent skills, and aptitude to juggle projects/priorities and deliver high quality outcomes under pressure
- Travel – willingness and ability to travel domestically & internationally.
- Resilience – ability to overcome and motivate others in the face of a changing environment
- Record of significant policy project delivery with demonstration of clear interpersonal value
- Experience of achieving tangible and acknowledged value in a similar position and scale of challenge and opportunity.
- Organisational Change track record.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.