Preclinical DMPK Project Leader - Respiratory and Immunology
Are you an experienced DMPK scientist with expertise in biologics drug discovery? Would you like to apply your expertise in a global company that follows the science and turns ideas into life-changing medicines? Then you could be the new colleague we are looking for!
We are now recruiting an experienced and motivated individual to join our DMPK department as a Preclinical DMPK Project Leader within Early Respiratory and Immunology (R&I). This position is placed at AstraZeneca’s vibrant R&D site in Gothenburg, Sweden, one of AstraZeneca’s three strategic science centers. Your level of professional experience will be relevant for your initial career level (Associate Principal Scientist or Principal Scientist).
At AstraZeneca Early Respiratory & Immunology (R&I), we're proud to have an outstanding workplace culture that encourages innovation and teamwork. We are united by our vision to push the boundaries of DMPK science to transform ideas into medicines for R&I patients. Employees are empowered to express diverse perspectives - and are made to feel valued, energized and rewarded for their ideas and creativity.
What you’ll do
In the role you would work collaboratively with discovery project representatives from other disciplines including, biological engineering, biology and safety biopharmaceutical development. You are expected to influence across cross-functional teams to identify and mitigate key project issues related to the DMPK discipline (e.g., PK, PK/PD). Hence, it is your responsibility to ensure delivery of all DMPK related activities, including preclinical PK and PD underpinning human dose prediction to early drug projects from target selection to candidate drug selection. We believe that you have a solid understanding of pharmacokinetics applied to biologics drug discovery and that you will be able to provide expert advice and interpretation of complex drug discovery data.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
• Responsible for leading all DMPK related activities, including coordinating and engaging with internal and external DMPK colleagues and collaborators, on project related activities. Deliver DMPK input and data to projects within agreed timelines and to the right quality to ensure that DMPK challenges are thoroughly assessed and resolved.
• Contribute to the design of preclinical in vivo studies to answer crucial project questions and secure optimal PK/PD outcome.
• Accountable, together with other functions such as Biologics Engineering, Bioscience and Safety, for effective cross-discipline optimization. Apply an understanding of DMPK and PKPD to support/influence project progression and strategy as well as providing the framework for human dose predictions.
• Prepare clear presentations related to the above for internal governance interactions.
Essential for the role
• PhD in bio-pharmaceutics/pharmacokinetics/engineering or related field, or equivalent experience in a relevant field
• Formal training or proven experience of working with pharmacokinetics and drug metabolism and a good understanding of pharmacodynamics
• In-depth understanding of the PK and PK/PD specific to biologics
• Have solid PK modelling skills, experience of human dose and PK prediction as well as understanding of disease biology and linking to PKPD understanding
• Hands-on experience in a modelling software (e.g., Phoenix, Matlab, R, Monolix, NONMEM or similar)
• Extensive experience (5+ years) of working in preclinical DMPK
• Experience from drug discovery, cross-functional working and compound/project progression
• Ability to engage and collaborate across boundaries with a problem solving attitude and focus on delivery
• Strong communication skills in English, both verbal and writing
Desirable for the role
• Understanding of bioanalytical methods for biologics and immunogenicity assessment
• Hands-on experience in mechanistic modelling
This is an exciting opportunity for a talented DMPK scientist with discovery and development experience to join a strong team at the forefront of DMPK science, to support the portfolio of a major pharmaceutical company that has science at its heart and a tremendously strong pipeline whilst being based in the wonderful city of Gothenburg, Sweden.
At AstraZeneca we’re dedicated to being a Great Place to Work. Where you are empowered to push the boundaries of science and unleash your entrepreneurial spirit. There’s no better place to make a difference to medicine, patients and society. An inclusive culture that champions diversity and collaboration. Always committed to lifelong learning, growth and development.
If you are ready to make a difference - apply today, and we'll make it happen together! We welcome your application until January 8, 2023.
Where can I find out more?
Our Gothenburg site: https://www.astrazeneca.com/our-science/gothenburg.html
Life in Gothenburg: https://www.movetogothenburg.com/
Culture and atmosphere of the Gothenburg site: https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6496327311678410752/
Relocate to Gothenburg: https://www.astrazeneca.se/om-oss/verksamheten-i-sverige/goteborg/relocate-to-gothenburg.html
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements.