Head of Biological and Knowledge Analytics
Head of Biological and Knowledge Analytics
Location(s) – Gaithersburg (US), Cambridge (UK) or Gothenburg (Sweden)
Salary – Competitive salary and company benefits apply
Would you like to be a part of a Data Science & Artificial Intelligence (DS&AI) group who has direct strategic impact on drug development, playing a key role in getting medicines to patients?
At AstraZeneca, we are constantly pushing the boundaries of science to deliver life-changing medicines to patients, with a real passion for discovery and a pipeline to show for it. Here, you’ll have the opportunity to make a difference in people’s lives every single day.
AstraZeneca is looking to invest in the data management and analysis platforms underlying its existing and emerging drug discovery technology, through its long term Growth Through Innovation Strategy. Within the new Data Science and AI Group, you will be working with colleagues to build data management and analysis foundations for the future.
The [Data Science & AI] team collaborates across R&D to drive innovation through data science and AI. Together we aim to:
- Improve our understanding of disease and uncovering new targets
- Transform R&D processes
- Speed the design and delivery of new medicines for patients
In this role you will lead and direct the team focused on developing cutting-edge quantitative solutions to our most challenging problems in high-dimensional biology. You will not only provide advanced technical leadership, guiding research and applications of quantitative methods, but will also provide direct supervision, mentorship, support, guidance, oversight, project management and recruitment of your team.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Analyses information to determine project requirements.
- Provides advanced biocomputational expertise to AstraZeneca projects and drives delivery of advanced solutions.
- AZ-wide technical and analytics leadership in Omics and Knowledge Graphs
- Develops novel quantitative solutions where off-the-shelf tools and methodologies do not fit.
- Leads 5-10 person data science projects with cross-functional teams or impact.
- Independently proposes and drives new projects that add significant value to AstraZeneca.
- Drives development and adoption of new tools and methodologies within AstraZeneca.
- Leads academic / cross-industry projects to advance the state-of-the-art.
- Publishes work to ensure that AstraZeneca drives the bioinformatics agenda in the pharmaceutical industry.
- Develops best practice to ensure that analytical work is delivered to robust quality standards.
- Ensures own work is compliant within Clinical Development, and other appropriate regulations and procedures.
- Recruits and leads a world-class team of quantitative experts
- Is externally regarded as an expert in one or more areas
- MSc degree in rigorous quantitative science (such as mathematics, computer science, engineering)
- Extensive hands-on experience developing and applying bioinformatics tools in practice across a multitude of projects
- Practical software development and analysis skills in standard data science tools (such as R or python).
- Experience developing novel analytical methodologies and delivering them into the business.
- Advanced communication, business analysis, and consultancy.
- Experience of and facility with agile project delivery
- Delivery of data science projects with significant impact.
- PhD degree in rigorous quantitative science (such as mathematics, computer science, engineering)
- Experience and wide reputation within the pharmaceutical industry
- Line management experience
- Recognized external presence, with multiple published papers and/or patents
- Contribution to external open source projects
- In-depth experience of working in a global organization with complex/geographical context
- Strong track record of delivering large, cross functional projects
- Expertise in developing, maintaining and deploying Knowledge Graphs
Next Steps – Apply today
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.