Global Congress & Conference Director
A senior expert role, leading the congress and conference delivery strategy for one Science Unit therapy area (TA) and related Global BioPharmaceuticals Business Unit teams to add value to the business. Accountable for developing relationships at senior levels and is the liaison with business stakeholders to shape requirements so that activities are co-ordinated and effectively translated into solutions.
Drives innovation and sharing of best practice across BioPharmaceuticals Business Unit global functions and BioPharmaceuticals R&D, and supports capability development of Congress and Conference Planning as a Centre of Excellence.
Leads delivery of specific projects on-time, on-budget and in adherence with quality and compliance standards. The role ensures that project teams adopt quality and compliance standards, policies and procedures.
Accountable for collaboration with Medical Associations to shape the future direction of congresses/conferences to add value to the business.
Serves as main interface with and relationship manager to external agencies.
- Business Partner and subject matter expert to a Science Unit TA and related Global BioPharmaceuticals Business Unit teams, providing a single point of contact for Congress and Conference activities.
- Drives the development and implementation of the BioPharmaceuticals Business Units’ congress strategy to support business priorities.
- Develops and maintains an overall picture of demand and delivery for the TA/Brand Team.
- Contracts with business leaders to deliver events using the capability within BioPharmaceuticals R&D ensuring meetings and events are co-coordinated and delivered with impact and efficiency.
- Leads and manages overall congress schedule and planning in partnership with external meeting suppliers. Provides leadership and project management on individual projects as needed.
- Provide expert conference project management leadership for R&D study/project/functional teams in all regions, with regard to all aspects of project management processes, tools and standards (for designated events such as Investigator Meetings, Advisory Boards, Congresses, etc).
- Acts as single point of customer escalation and builds effective relationships with internal stakeholders so that objectives remain aligned to their business plans.
- Collaborates with medical associations to shape the future direction of conferences/congresses to identify and develop new initiatives that bring value for both parties.
- Drives innovation and sharing of best practice across R&D/BioPharmaceuticals Business Unit, and supports capability development of the Global Congress & Conference Team as a Centre of Excellence.
- Business partner and subject matter expert to advise senior leaders across BioPharmaceuticals global functions and key countries on meetings and events strategy. Drive the application of Congress and Conference framework across the business to ensure a consistent approach.
- Leads the partnership with the external meeting suppliers, including the annual review to include robust KPIs. Identify issues and work with Procurement to resolve the issues. Supports the development and management of supplier contracts.
- Identify all aspects of event risk management and crisis management planning strategies.
- Oversees congress/conference budgets and reconciliations.
- Attends congresses as AZ representative (includes extensive international travel).
- Drives a culture of continuous improvement
- Ensures cost effective and flexible resource management
- Influences the image of the business externally
- Promotes identification of underlying barriers to success
- Reviews and agrees high-level demand and supply and make recommendation for strategic changes, if needed.
- Identifies opportunities for/instigate/lead change and associated uncertainty across the organization through innovation
Education, Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree/post graduate qualification or equivalent
- Experience in congress management, knowledge of pharmaceutical congress industry, codes and practices
- Extensive experience in leading events management teams and external suppliers
- Knowledge of global Pharmaceutical market and strong understanding of external stakeholders including physicians, payers and patients
- Significant experience in supplier engagement and supplier performance management
- Experience in working with and influencing Senior-level stakeholders
- Internal business partnering experience
- Cultural sensitivity globally
- Effective project management skills. Ability to work towards tight timelines and manage conflicting priorities while maintaining attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal, communication and influencing abilities
- Demonstrated excellent written and verbal communication skills, negotiation, collaboration, conflict management and interpersonal skills
- Ability to travel globally including over weekends
- Experience of working within an agency delivering global pharmaceutical congresses
- Knowledge of methodology for process improvement
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.