Digital Health R&D Lead for ADC programs
At AstraZeneca, we lead our industry in our development of a strong and varied pipeline. This means our people are here to win, we give you a breadth of opportunities to be curious and do cutting edge, unique work that has big impact on science and medicine. We explore innovations and confront challenges that others won't, in order to have a greater impact on patients' lives.
Within AstraZeneca's Digital Health R&D, we prioritize improved patient experience and outcomes. We are contributing to the transformation of healthcare by re-setting expectations on how to augment patient outcomes by using digital health solutions in combination with life-changing treatments. This is a strategic priority that we are scaling rapidly from a significant number of pilots in the last 5 years. We seek strong talent to join our teams.
Advances in digitalization, data and advance analytics are changing industries at pace with the pharma industry now accelerating at speed.
The Digital Health Market will grow by more than $300B and at 29% CAGR over the next 3 years, with new applications in digital showing in phase 3 studies significant benefits for patients including overall survival in Cancer.
AstraZeneca would like to leap frog in this area and has prioritized digital in R&D as a critical strategic area of focus by 2025, as part of the overall company strategy, now approved by the Board.
Digital in R&D journey is incorporating 3 key stages
Stage 1 – foundational, reimagine how we work, by maximizing the use of digital, data and analytics transform processes within R&D to gain significant benefits on speed of the portfolio (goal 9 months acceleration) productivity (goal -20% reduction in cost per patient per year) quality at source, patient experience and probability of success
Stage 2 – advanced, reimagine clinical trials to improve patient outcomes, example redefining patient populations, remote clinical trials, patient apps to reduce/manage adverse events and improve patient outcomes (OS), using data from EHMr and RWE instead of control arms, and through PROs and continuous patient monitoring, creating new end points enabling studies in earlier stages of disease (ctDNA changes) prolonging significantly patients lives
Stage 3 – future-readiness, reimagine healthcare, examples, AZ as a healthcare provider beyond medicines for certain indications (example: Breast Cancer, proving monitoring, predictive analytics and therapies for improved outcomes), full integration of Multiomics (imaging, genomics, proteomics …) to better predict and significantly improve patients’ health
We are seeking a Digital Health R&Dfor DS-8201 and ADC programs based in either: Gaithersburg, MD; New York, NY; Cambridge, UK or Gothenburg, SE.
In this role, you will lead the development of the DS-8201 digital Global strategy (aligned to stage 2) and lead the development of digital products to create a paradigm shift in patient outcomes. As such, you are expected to enable rapid development and global deployment of bespoke digital therapeuticsthat augment DS8201 in clinical development, with the overall goal to improve the outcomes with this very exceptional medicine.
- Develop and lead the execution of the DS8201 Digital strategy .Includes incorporating digital health solutions to all new relevant studies, including strategy, operational implementation and operating model across functions
- Lead a digital team that partners with the DS-8201 global product teams to create and maintain an overarching digital strategy for DS-8201. This would include for example, having the ability to collect patient symptoms and predict and prevent adverse events, as well as, continuously monitor the patient for progression in between visits and ensure our clinical trials are patient centric, with digital support tools through the clinical trial and moments that matter to patients
- Build a cross functional team on a new capability areas of digital, agile, analytics and data, that will be key part of AstraZeneca strategy for the next decade, with the aim of AstraZeneca lead the way across pharma for this therapeutic area in digital health, specially across such an important programme as DS-8201
- In partnership with Regulatory drive the path for regulatory approval in main markets in the globe, US, China, Japan and Europe, requiring understanding of regulatory requirements for digital therapeutics in these countries and with digital therapeutics now being reimbursed in many countries, working closely with the payer and regulatory oncology teams
- Lead strategy and product development for digital health solutions and execution together with Therapeutic area teams, these solutions should be Intellectual capital with market potential for AZ future growth for R&D
- For digital product activities, ensure effective and transparent risk, opportunity and issues management at strategic, and operational levels
- Be an active member of the R&D Digital leadership Oncology team developing an industry leading R&D Digital organisation
- Lead the creation of an Advisory Board with top physicians in this field to provide review of solutions and patient advocacy groups
- Develop and performance manage a team of direct reports – ensuring a constructive balance between challenge and coaching.
- Ensure direct reports maintain their scientific and technical knowledge in order to bring transformational digital opportunities to the R&D Digital group and to the R&D Therapy Area leadership team
- Grow and maintain internal and external relationships with stakeholders in the Oncology R&D unit and Oncology Business unit, key markets, external experts and our patients to ensure prioritised needs are met in everything we do.
- Performance manages senior managers and identifies skill development opportunities for direct reports, together with appropriate succession planning
- Bachelor Degree (Master’s preferred) with scientific focus
- Very strong Oncology background in research and development not only commercial
- Professional qualification
- Extensive relevant experience in pharmaceutical industry with strong knowledge of Drug Development Processes, and experience of developing products to treat diseases in related Therapy Area
- Proven delivery track record and
- Experience in Digital Health with solid understanding of Healthcare, with proven delivery of approved PROs or programmes with digital health components
- Ability to lead and influence strategically and persuade tactfully, to obtain desired outcomes while maintaining effective, positive, organizational relationships
- Ability to work collaboratively and drive in a cross functional setting with internal as well as external partners
- Ability to challenge the status quo, take ownership and holds self and others accountable
- Experience leading a development team and working in a global environment
- Well-developed communication skills, able to create clarity from ambiguity
- Proven leadership abilities and experience promoting, motivating and empowering others to accomplish individual, team and organizational objectives
- Transformational Leadership of functional and cross functional team
- Passion for Patients and Customers, representing the needs of multiple customers in decision making
- PhD in a scientific or technical discipline
- Strong Scientific and Medical understanding of the Therapy Area that this role will represent
- Experience on bringing innovation that is solving complex and multi-dimensional issues from an operational, technical, financial and human perspective
- Device, software development and / or clinical project management
- Experience on delivering patient reported outcomes solutions approved by a regulator
- Familiarity with the latest research and thinking
- Comprehensive understanding of dynamics affecting the pharmaceutical industry and needs for transformation
- Ability to work globally including international travel
- Sophisticated Project management skills, including managing vendors, budgets, timelines and risks
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.