Vice President, Biologic Therapeutics - Oncology R&D
Vice President, Biologic Therapeutics - Oncology R&D
Location: Gaithersburg, Maryland US
AstraZeneca is a global, creative, biopharmaceutical company that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialization of prescription medicines for some of the most serious illnesses. But we are more than just one of the leading pharmaceutical companies. At AZ, we’re proud to have an exceptional workplace culture that encourages innovation and collaboration. Here employees are empowered to express diverse perspectives – an are made to feel valued, energized and rewarded for their ideas and creativity. AZ is a place where passionate people can immerse themselves in their work and make significant contributions to scientific excellence and medicines.
We are actively recruiting for a Vice President - Biologic Therapeutics for the Biologics Engineering & Targeted Delivery (BETD) department within Oncology R&D. Biologics Engineering is responsible for the discovery and development of biologics drug candidates to support all our therapeutic areas (Oncology, Cardiovascular and Metabolic, Respiratory and Immunology) drug discovery pipelines and for in-house biologics discovery platforms and drug modalities to support future drug development efforts.
Our Gaithersburg, Maryland facility creates life-changing medicines for people around the world. The modern, vibrant scientific campus employs more than 3000 experts in our field, and it is only a short drive from Washington, DC. It is filled with pioneering technology. Our labs spaces were built to facilitate collaboration, interaction and cross functional science. We believe employees benefit from being challenged and inspired at work. We offer everything from bean bag rooms for creative brain storming, game rooms and Zen garden to treadmill stations and regular campus happy hours. The Gaithersburg site offer a variety of amenities to help boost efficiency and help keep our employees happy and healthy. This includes a fitness center, employee healthcare clinic, electric vehicle charging stations, dry cleaning, full-service cafeteria and copy center.
Join AstraZeneca and help us deliver life-changing medicines! Be among our employees who continue to make us an innovation-driven company that stands firmly among the leaders in Biopharmaceuticals.
- Provide strategic, scientific, and operational leadership for the Biologic Therapeutics group (Gaithersburg, USA)
- Responsible for broad biologics drug discovery. The drug discovery technology platforms include phage display, hybridoma, B cell technology, bi-specifics, protein engineering, antibody-drug conjugates, structural biology, etc.
- Provide strategic direction for establishing new technology platforms and processes.
- Interact and collaborate with leaders across key therapeutic areas (Oncology, Cardiovascular/Rena/Metabolic diseases, Respiratory/Immunology) on pipeline delivery and new technology development.
- Work closely with Biopharmaceutical Development (BPD) to ensure new therapeutic molecules are compatible with CMC requirement.
- Foster the implementation of external innovation.
- Develop and manage operating budget.
- Develop high potential employees for managerial and scientific leadership positions.
- As a member of the BETD Senior Leadership Team, actively contribute to the overall strategy and direction of BETD, and undertake specific leadership assignments representing BETD, as required.
- Ph.D. in a relevant scientific field (antibody/protein engineering, protein biochemistry, and biotechnology) required.
- 10-15 years professional experience in biologics research.
- Recognized leader in scientific specialty as evidenced by publications, participation in international conference, membership on journal editorial boards, etc.
- Must be an excellent communicator and highly effective in interacting with key internal and external partners.
- Ability to establish high level strategies for new drug technologies, and ability to apply new technologies to drug discovery.
- Solid collaboration and team-building skills; possessing great coaching and organizational skills
- Functions with a high degree of integrity and professionalism.
At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change, we seize it and make it happen, because any opportunity no matter how small, can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing medicines is about being entrepreneurial - finding those moments and recognizing their potential. Join us on our journey of building a new kind of organization to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we’re opening new ways to work, pioneering groundbreaking methods and bringing unexpected teams together. Interested? Come and join our journey.
So, what’s next?
A place built on courage, curiosity, and collaboration – we make bold decisions driven by patient outcomes. Empowered to lead at every level, free to ask questions and take calculated risks that write the next chapter for our pipeline.
If you are swift to action, confident to lead, willing to collaborate, and passionate about the possibilities, then we are keen to hear from you!
Where can I find out more?
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
Next steps: Submit an application today, or connect with our Talent Acquisition Partner - Sam Hunter: https://www.linkedin.com/in/samhunter1/ or our Talent Scout, Ellen Willcox: https://www.linkedin.com/in/ellen-willcox-03a2b1/
for a confidential discussion to explore this opportunity further. We are looking forward to hearing from you!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a phenomenal fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements.
AstraZeneca requires all US employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 but will consider requests for reasonable accommodations as required by applicable law.