Director/Sr. Director, Bioscience Immunology, Early Respiratory and Immunology
Do you have a passion for Science? Would you like to apply your expertise to impact a company that follows the science and turns ideas into life changing medicines? Then AstraZeneca might be the one for you!
At AstraZeneca, we put patients first and strive to meet their unmet needs worldwide. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. If you are swift to action, confident to lead, willing to collaborate, and curious about what science can do, then you’re our kind of person.
About AstraZeneca in Gaithersburg, MD:
Our Gaithersburg, Maryland facility creates life-changing medicines for people around the world. This campus employs more than 3,500 authorities in our field and is only a short drive from Washington, DC. This modern and vibrant scientific campus is the home of R&D and Oncology in the US. Here, we play host to some of the most cutting-edge technology and lab spaces, all designed to inspire collaboration and cross-functional science. We believe employees benefit from being challenged and inspired at work. We are dedicated to creating a culture of inclusion and collaboration.
The Gaithersburg site offers a variety of amenities to help boost productivity and help keep our employees happy and healthy. This includes a fitness center, employee healthcare clinic, electric vehicle charging stations, dry cleaning, full-service cafeteria, and copy center. This is where you’ll find newly designed, activity-based workspaces to suit a variety of working styles while increasing collaboration between teams.
Summary of Group:
The vision of AstraZeneca Early Respiratory & Immunology (Early R&I) is centered on delivering life-changing products that advance world health and help fight and cure disease. Early R&I is one of three main therapeutic research areas within AstraZeneca that deliver candidate drugs into late-stage clinical development. Here, you’ll have the chance to create a difference in people’s lives every day.
As a part of building Immunology Bioscience team within Early R&I department, we are seeking a highly motivated Team Leader to lead the group of scientists and associate scientists focusing on identifying and validating new drug targets for patients with Rheumatological, Dermatological and Gastrointestinal diseases. The group will deliver key data to projects across all phases of the drug discovery and early development and work with different modalities such as small molecules, complex biologics, cell therapy. The position is placed in Boston, US.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
In this role you will be a program and people leader in the Bioscience, Immunology team focusing on developing therapeutics for treatment of Rheumatological, Gastrointestinal and Dermatological Diseases. The candidate will ensure delivery of preclinical and translational data in support of key portfolio program breakthroughs, drive identification of novel targets partnering with multiple functional teams, drive technical excellence in bioscience research and contribute to the strategic direction of Bioscience Immunology leadership team. You will take an active role in growing and developing team members and recruitment of new talents.
- Drive new target identification strategies and supervise the design and execution of bioscience in vitro and in vivo experiments integrating both disease and pathway approaches in support of portfolio programs
- Advance portfolio of novel therapeutics to clinic
- Develop and lead collaborations with disease guides
- Work closely with key leaders in partner functions to ensure project goals are met
- Select, develop, coach, mentor, retain, empower, and encourage team members in Bioscience, Immunology team
- Accountable to lead resources effectively, providing flexible, proficient, and adaptable Bioscience support to projects
- Accountable for long-term development of the Bioscience department in close collaboration with the Head of Department and the other Bioscience team leaders
- Drive innovation and scientific excellence in Bioscience through internal scientific development, external collaborations, publications, and competitive awareness. Will also actively search, establish, and lead external collaborations
- Create and maintain a work environment in which scientific challenge and innovation are improved
- May present specific target ideas to target review meetings, leadership team and Research Board
- Work collaboratively with other Teams within and outside of the Early R&I
- Make AstraZeneca scientifically visible by publishing scientific papers and presenting data at conferences
- Strong focus on leading performance and setting exciting, achievable, and measurable objectives and handle salary and bonus for the team
- Ensure that the work of the team is performed with the right quality in accordance with compliance processes.
- Ensure compliance with all corporate guidelines and rules
Experience / Education:
- M.D, Ph.D or M.D./Ph.D degree in immunology or relevant research area
- 5 plus years of Industry experience in drug discovery Immunology space
- 2 plus years of managing a team
- Track record of scientific excellence in immunology
- Track record of delivering preclinical drug candidates to clinic
- Experience with in vitro and in vivo immunology models
- Strong leadership capabilities with emphasis of people management and development of others
- Experience in the identification and progression of novel drug targets and pathways
- Outstanding team working skills and a consistent record of working collaboratively to ensure scientific excellence and rapid progression of projects
- Training in T-cell and highly developed immunity is preferred
- Hands-on experience with different therapeutic platforms is highly preferred
When we put unexpected teams in the same room, we unleash bold thinking with the power to inspire life-changing medicines. In-person working gives us the platform to connect, work at pace and challenge perceptions. That’s why we work, on average, a minimum of three days per week from the office. But that doesn’t mean we’re not flexible. We balance the expectation of being in the office while respecting individual flexibility. Join us in our unique and bold world.”
At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change, we seize it and make it happen, because any opportunity no matter how small, can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing medicines is about being entrepreneurial - finding those moments and recognising their potential. Join us on our journey of building a new kind of organisation to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we’re opening new ways to work, pioneering powerful methods, and bringing unexpected teams together. Interested? Come and join our journey.
So, what’s next!
Are you ready to bring new ideas and fresh thinking to the table? Brilliant! We have one seat available, and we hope it’s yours.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements.
AstraZeneca requires all US employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 but will consider requests for reasonable accommodations as required by applicable law.