Senior Scientist, in Vitro Immuno-Oncology Research
Senior Scientist, In Vitro Immuno-Oncology Research
Location: Gaithersburg, MD
At AstraZeneca, we turn ideas into life changing medicines. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. We’re passionate about the potential of science to address the unmet needs of patients around the world. We commit to those areas where we believe we can really change the course of medicine and bring big new ideas to life.
AstraZeneca’s vision in Oncology is to push the boundaries of science to change the practice of medicine, transform the lives of patients living with cancer, and to ultimately eliminate cancer as a cause of death. A broad pipeline of next-generation medicines is focused principally on four disease areas - breast, ovarian, lung and hematological cancers.
We are seeking highly motivated Senior Scientists in Immuno-Oncology with scientific and technical expertise in adaptive immune cell biology specifically focusing on T cell immunology, with a track record of scientific achievement to join our team in Gaithersburg, US. As a Senior Scientist you will be a key member of a team focused on supporting immune-oncology projects through the drug discovery process. You will bring your theoretical and practical expertise in immunology to establish assay systems and deliver datasets that will have direct impact on immune-oncology research projects.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
Working in this laboratory-based position within the Immuno-Oncology Research group you will develop, design, conduct and analyze in vitro experiments to assess the function of our candidate drugs and help to dissect the mechanism of action of novel therapeutics targeting the immune system for cancer therapy. You will also review emerging literature and internal data to help in identifying new potential targets and contribute to target validation activities.
A solid foundation in immunology / immuno-oncology, and experience in techniques for the analysis of immune function and phenotype is essential for this role. As a highly organized, self-motivated individual with a strong lab/practical background you will stay up to date with relevant technical and intellectual scientific expertise in tumor immunology and have a genuine passion for this field of research. The position requires strong interest in bench work and hands on in cancer biology
- A PhD, or equivalent experience, in immunology and/or immuno-oncology, with 0-3 years of post-doctoral experience in a relevant research area
- Strong hands-on skills in basic biochemical and immunological methods including multi-color flow cytometry (FACS), ELISA/multiplex assays, ELISPOT, western blotting, immunoprecipitation, cell killing assay.
- Strong interpersonal, influencing, negotiating and collaboration skills together with evidence of having used these to support problem solving and delivery in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Ability to work in a fast paced team environment, plan and meet timelines
- Proven track record of success in your research and experience preparing written scientific reports (e.g. manuscripts) and oral presentations (e.g. slides, posters).
- We would encourage applications from candidates who have experience in the evaluation of immune function and in the application of complex immunological assays.
- Job complexity is high and requires the ability to work with a high degree of independence.
- Experience working with patient-derived tumors and/or tumor T cells is an advantage.
- Experience with animal models is a plus but not required.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.