Senior Scientist – Conjugation
Senior Scientist – Conjugation
Do you have expertise in, and passion for, innovative science? Would you like to apply your expertise to impact drug discovery in a company that follows the science and turns ideas into life changing medicines? Then AstraZeneca might be the one for you!
At AstraZeneca, we put patients first and strive to meet their unmet needs worldwide. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. If you are swift to action, confident to lead, willing to collaborate, and curious about what science can do, then you’re our kind of person.
Main Duties & Responsibilities:
In this role, you will be part of a team of highly skilled and passionate individuals responsible for innovating and generating the best in class of antibody drug conjugates for various therapeutic areas. We are seeking a highly motivated conjugation scientist with a preferred background in drug discovery. Exciting opportunity to be learn and contribute to multi-disciplinary drug development.
- Conjugation, purification and characterization of ADCs using multiple validated methodologies
- Development and optimization of novel conjugation methodologies to improve ADC properties
- Collaborate and work with a diverse group of scientists across multiple therapeutic areas, chemistry, and process development to ensure timely progress in research projects and drive technological innovations
- Partner with colleagues on laboratory maintenance, including maintenance of equipment and lab safety.
Education & Experience Requirements:
- Ph.D. in Organic Chemistry/ Chemical Biology/ Biochemistry or other relevant discipline with 3-5+ years of relevant experience
- Masters in Organic Chemistry/ Chemical Biology/ Biochemistry or other relevant discipline with 9+ years of relevant experience
- Demonstrated hands-on experience in the design and generation of antibody drug conjugates from mg to gram scale.
- Working knowledge of characterization using analytical techniques like Hydrophobic Interaction Chromatography (HIC)-HPLC, Size Exclusion Chromatography (SEC), Liquid chromatography–mass spectrometry (LC-MS), Ion-Exchange (IEX), Reversed Phase (RP)-HPLC, etc.
- Hands-on experience and knowledge of protein purification using HIC, IEX, SEC and affinity chromatography. Experience with GE AKTA FPLC preferred.
- Proven ability to work independently, effectively plan and organize work activities and prioritize task completion to meet project deadlines
- Demonstrated experience in optimizing/troubleshooting protocols with a problem-solving mindset and maintains a detailed laboratory notebook
- Track record of scientific innovation as evidenced by scientific publications, patents, and oral presentations at conferences
- Experience in protein engineering is a plus.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and effective presentation of complex scientific data to cross-functional and senior management
About AstraZeneca in Gaithersburg, MD:
Our Gaithersburg, Maryland facility creates life-changing medicines for people around the world. This campus employs more than 3,500 experts in our field and is only a short drive from Washington, DC. This modern and vibrant scientific campus is the home of R&D and Oncology in the US. Here, we play host to some of the most cutting-edge technology and lab spaces, all designed to inspire collaboration and cross-functional science. We believe employees benefit from being challenged and inspired at work. We are dedicated to creating a culture of inclusion and collaboration.
The Gaithersburg site offers a variety of amenities to help boost productivity and help keep our employees stay happy and healthy. This includes a fitness center, employee healthcare clinic, electric vehicle charging stations, dry cleaning, full-service cafeteria and copy center. This is where you’ll find newly-designed, activity-based work spaces to suit a variety of working styles while increasing collaboration between teams.
So, what’s next?
Are you already imagining yourself joining our team? Good, because we can’t wait to hear from you. Apply today!
Where can I find out more?
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazeneca/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements.
AstraZeneca requires all US employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 but will consider requests for reasonable accommodations as required by applicable law.