Senior IT Business Relationship Manager – Data Science & Artificial Intelligence IT
Senior IT Business Relationship Manager – Data Science & Artificial Intelligence IT
Job Description / Capsule
Our Science and Enabling Units IT vision is to deliver the best science IT capabilities in biopharma, which we define as agile, responsive and fit-for-future. Our goal is to engage with our stakeholders as a strategic partner in delivering life-changing medicines to our patients. The desired effect of your role is to take accountability as a leader for delivering a ‘Best in Class’ IT experience for the Data Science functions within the AstraZeneca Oncology & Biopharma R&D organizations.
The Senior IT Business Relationship Manager will develop strategic relationships within the Data Science organizations identifying ways for IT to partner with them in achieving and exceeding business objectives. You will drive the delivery of innovative business solutions to create maximum competitive advantage. The role combines in-depth understanding of AstraZeneca, business area strategy and domain knowledge of the Data Science functions, and relevant technical expertise to drive the creation of new innovative technology solutions and continuous value from existing solutions.
This role requires a hybrid set of technical, business domain, and leadership skills. You are expected to perform as a leader-doer with the ability to inspire and motivate an agile and diverse team of professionals in a complex matrix organization. This role is a mix of leading a team and building a relationship of trust with our stakeholders, anchored by strong technical and domain expertise and continuous learning and development.
In your role, you will be accountable for developing and delivering on the long-term technology strategy/vision for the Oncology R&D Data Science and the Biopharma R&D Data Science & AI organizations (DS&AI). The Oncology Data Science function focuses on the impact of Data Science and Biometrics driven insights across the the Oncology scientific organization. The Biopharma R&D DS&AI organization focuses on collaborating across all of R&D to drive innovation through Data Science & AI. This is an exciting opportunity to partner with two organizations that are working together to ensure AZ is transforming R&D, accelerating the delivery of the most life changing medicines to patients.
The successful candidate will drive forward data science focused initiatives that advance scientific insights through utilization of machine learning, knowledge graphs and natural language processing. You will be responsible for delivering a roadmap and standing up programs and projects, in partnership with our customers, that provide Data Science teams the platforms they need to ensure access to the right data at the right time, while ensuring security and compliance by default. AstraZeneca is focused on continually uplifting our capabilities in Data Science & AI to meet the changing needs of our stakeholders and are excited to bring on a talented individual to drive this space forward.
You will work with the Oncology Data Science business unit in Oncology R&D and the R&D Data Science & AI unit. You will be a leader and advocate for these organizations working collaboratively as part of a customer-facing Data Science & Artificial Intelligence (DS&AI) IT team. You will work collaboratively with other BRMs in the broader DS&AI domain, and be expected to develop and leverage relationships with strategic external partners and a global IT matrix spanning 3,000+ people across the US, UK, Sweden, China, Japan, Poland, Mexico and India. All DS&AI IT business engagement team members are expected to develop domain and technical expertise across all Science domains and take on special/opportunistic projects outside of his/her core domain.
The core accountability of the role include:
- Building strong strategic relationships with complex customer groups and senior stakeholders, developing a deep understanding of the short-term and long-term business direction.
- Developing and maintaining the stakeholder management plan, conducting continuous stakeholder analysis, and working cross-functionally to align on strategy and plans
- Assessing and prioritizing data science requirements in line with IT strategy, and influencing IT strategy where appropriate
- Managing a portfolio of IT investments, prioritized to align with emerging business strategy
- Facilitating accurate IT demand forecasting, planning, and delivery collaboratively with other supporting IT team roles
- Leading high-level investigations on requirements specifications and feasibility studies, developing a range of options aligned to business and IT strategy
- Leading business impact assessments, identifying risks and issues that may affect current and future business units and roles, and create business readiness plan
- Partnering with key stakeholders on the development of detailed business cases for new IT solutions
- Proactively identifying opportunities for IT to deliver innovative technology solutions to provide competitive advantage
- Presenting and gaining buy-in from senior leaders for IT initiatives, leveraging domain knowledge to gain credibility, trust, and commitment
- Works collaboratively with:
Business and IT leadership teams and other senior stakeholders to build their understanding of IT strategy, programmes and challenges
IT Strategy, Architecture, Portfolio Management and Project/Programme Management to agree the future shape of proposed solutions and initiate projects in partnership
Other stakeholder area Business Relationship Managers to create alignment and identify cross-functional collaboration and/or innovation opportunities
Business analysts to define detailed requirements, conduct business analysis, and build business cases
Portfolio Managers and solution delivery leads to initiate projects, clearly define scope and monitor the delivery of project value compared to the promised benefits
Service Management teams to ensure the IT services plans are established for the customer group, actively monitored, and effectively managed in line with established service levels
Education, Qualifications, and Experience
- Experience in and knowledge of bio-pharma industry
- Deep knowledge and understanding of the application of data science in the R&D domain
- Demonstrated delivery of advanced analytics capabilities focused on scientific data
- Extensive knowledge of scientific and clinical pharmaceutical processes.
- Proven ability to interpret and communicate technical and scientific information.
- Significant experience in developing the vision and strategy for data science projects in a life sciences domain.
- Substantial experience in managing and delivering business change through IT projects and delivering results.
- Broad understanding of global regulations in the bio-pharma domain
- Experience of building high value business cases & mobilizing prioritized investments.
- Experience of leading matrixed teams with a demonstrable track record of motivational and achievement-oriented leadership.
- Proven ability to operate across multiple domains and ambiguity.
- Demonstrated ability to build strategic working partnerships with senior AZ internal customers, peers and partners.
- The ability to travel both domestically and internationally.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong influencing, networking and team working skills
- High level awareness of developments in the Information Technology marketplace
- Demonstrate strong relationship building skills with the ability to influence others to achieve objectives
- Proficiency in planning, change management and problem solving and able to resolve issues of a highly complex and strategic nature
- Proven ability to relate and respond to business needs in an IT environment
- Ability to manage negotiations, expectations and solutions across complex groups
- Degree or relevant business qualification
- Involvement in pharma thought leadership networks and organizations
- Agile development methodologies
- Experience delivering utilizing BizDevOps lifecycles
- Ability to work well in and across diverse global teams
- Ability to partner and work in a matrix organization
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.