Senior Data & DataOps Engineer
Are you passionate about using your IT expertise to unlock the potential of science, develop life-changing medicines and bring them to patients quicker?
Delivering life-changing medicines relies on data, but integrating all the systems we use across the business to capture it – from finance and HR data, scientific data lab data to supply chain and logistics data– is a complex challenge.
You could create new data capabilities that will use advanced algorithms to derive novel business insight; Design data strategies to combine data from multiple, disparate sources; Engineer data at scale to optimise our data delivery to decision-makers; Or you might be looking at how we leverage new technologies frameworks to leverage AI and machine learning to drive faster, better decision-making.
The Data Engineering/DataOps Lead will be a key role responsible for delivering engineering and DataOps standards, processes and standard methodologies for establishing and growing the new enablement capability. The role will work closely with the IT delivery functions and the Shared Services delivery organization to bring the Data Enablement capability to life and to drive significant improvement in time-to-value and costs through automation. The role will also work closely with our Innovation and Data Architecture functions to identify and deliver the new patterns and technologies identified to meet the emerging requirements for the Data Enablement capacity. The Data Engineering/DataOps Lead will operate in a global and highly matrixed environment working with business unit IT delivery and Shared Services to deliver the Data Enablement capabilities.
With a 2025 goal of 50% automation within the Data Enablement space, the emerging DataOps arena will be a central focus of the role and so a great opportunity to learn, build and mature a new and critical area within the firm.
Day to day responsibilities
- Defines and directs the Data Engineering and DataOps activities relative to Data Enablement
- Maintains awareness and knowledge of industry trends and enthusiastically identifies and drives identification of opportunities to be demonstrated in the DataOps arena
- Works with Architects and Innovation to align capabilities to technology and supporting implementation standard methodologies
- Coaches and mentors Data Engineering teams and personnel across the firm in DataOps methods, standards and standard methodologies
- Provides leadership to efforts to plan, engineer and design IT data applications
- May, over time, be a direct manager of other Data Engineers/DataOps personnel providing all day-to-day leadership required
- Works with other AZ teams or preferred third-party suppliers to provide strategic and innovative technology applications aligned with Data Enablement and AstraZeneca business needs
- Provides technical feedback to business cases, Request for Proposals, supplier selection and evaluation of proposals related to technology supporting Data Enablement and DataOps specifically.
What we are looking for?
- Evidence of leading, shaping and designing innovative data solutions and driving change in a matrix structure
- Ability to interpret and communicate technical information into business language
- Expertise in Agile Development techniques and Methodologies
- Expert in data and application design patterns and processes
- Significant experience in leading global teams related to functional area, and demonstrate technical SME and proficiency to technically lead/influence matrixed teams
- Exposure to Data Pipelines (Ingest & Store, Data Preparation, Discover & Present, Insight & Experience)
- DevOps/DataOps execution skills
- Proven experience of developing and managing relationships with 3rd party suppliers
- Strong knowledge of cloud and modern big data concepts with at least some practical experience
- Ability to travel regularly, potentially globally
Join us and help lead the way in analysing and translating data into actionable information that leads to better outcomes for patients worldwide. Apply today!
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements. #DataAI
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.