Senior AI Researcher
Do you have a passion for AI Research? Would you like to apply your expertise to impact a company that follows the science and turns ideas into life changing medicines? Then AstraZeneca might be the one for you!
At AstraZeneca, we put patients first and strive to meet their unmet needs worldwide. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. If you are swift to action, confident to lead, willing to collaborate, and curious about what science can do, then you’re our kind of person.
Senior AI Researchers will lead high-performing teams of AI Researchers to deliver R&I’s strategic priorities in AI and machine learning. This will include being accountable for the design and execution of machine learning projects using the latest methods and engineering best practices. They will help define our engineering standards and ways of working, as well as drive adherence in the team. They will also contribute to the R&I AI leadership team and be able to articulate our AI vision clearly to stakeholders at every level in AZ (and externally). They will continue to engage with the external ML community, through leadership of basic ML research projects, papers at the major ML conferences and broader engagement activities including technical blogs etc.
- Partner closely with business stakeholders to develop carefully engineered machine learning projects using contemporary ML methods
- Lead teams of 3-10 machine learning researchers to successful project delivery using modern engineering best practices and collaboration tools
- Define (in collaboration with R&I AI Leadership) standards and ways of working
- Drive adherence to these standards across the team
- Mentor and develop more junior AI Researchers, including directing basic research
- Contribute to leadership of the AI group in R&I; contribute to the design and execution of R&I AI strategy
- Provide thought leadership on modern AI/ML and ML engineering practices in R&I and the broader AZ community
- Communicate R&I AI strategy effectively to a wide variety of internal and external stakeholders
- Continue to actively engage in ML research with and through the broader ML research community. Publish papers at the major ML conferences, contribute technical blogs and forge strategic alliances with academia and other industry
- Remain at the cutting edge of ML research, especially in a chosen subfield (e.g. probabilistic / causal ML, graph NNs, NLP etc.).
Education and experience
- PhD in machine learning, computer science or other quantitative discipline; or equivalent industrial experience
- Deep expertise in contemporary AI/ML methods and topics, including computer vision, NLP, structured data, probabilistic / causal ML, normalising flows etc.
- Experience with biological / health / chemical data a bonus
- Demonstrable track record of excellence in machine learning research including conference papers / presentations at NeurIPS / ICML / ICLR
- Demonstrable track record of leading AI/ML teams to successful delivery/deployment, especially in dynamic environments
- Track record of collaborating successfully with AI engineering teams to deliver complex modelling projects
- Fluent Python developer (at least 5 years of industrial experience); must be familiar with modern software engineering practices and the use of modern collaborative tools (e.g. GitHub, Slack, Jira, Trello etc.)
- Experienced in at least one major machine learning platform; preferably PyTorch (although TensorFlow is acceptable)
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change, we seize it and make it happen, because any opportunity no matter how small, can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing medicines is about being entrepreneurial - finding those moments and recognising their potential. Join us on our journey of building a new kind of organisation to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we’re opening new ways to work, pioneering cutting edge methods and bringing unexpected teams together. Interested? Come and join our journey.
So, what’s next!
Are you ready to bring new ideas and fresh thinking to the table? Brilliant! We have one seat available and we hope it’s yours.
Where can I find out more?
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.