Scientist - Tumor Targeted Delivery
Scientist - Tumor Targeted Delivery
Location: Gaithersburg, MD
At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change, we seize it and make it happen, because any opportunity no matter how small, can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing medicines is about being entrepreneurial - finding those moments and recognizing their potential. Join us on our journey of building a new kind of organization to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we’re opening new ways to work, pioneering cutting edge methods and bringing unexpected teams together. Interested? Come and join our journey.
The Early Discovery Oncology Bioscience team at AstraZeneca in Gaithersburg, MD is seeking a highly motivated Scientist- Tumor Targeted Delivery with a proven track record in histology and immunohistochemistry. The scientist selected for this role will work independently and in collaboration with others to conduct scientific research as part of a team effort. The candidate will be responsible for the development of IHC/ISH methods, tissue sectioning, and other histological techniques, as needed. In this cross-functional role, the selected candidate will participate in project teams and work in a multidisciplinary environment in order to advance projects.
Education & Experience Requirements
- Bachelor's Degree in biology, immunology or other relevant biological discipline, with 2-4 years of work experience OR a Master's Degree.
- Background in research and some exposure to immunohistochemistry and histology techniques.
- Works closely with team in the development of IHC/ISH assays in support of early target discovery.
- Communicate results to team members.
- Assesses and reports data in a clear and concise manner, while understanding the implications to the overall context of drug discovery.
- When appropriate shares relevant external published papers with peers.
- Will perform microtomy sectioning for the early oncology team.
- Is responsible for accurate tracking and cataloging of human biological samples.
- Ensures own work, and work of peers, is compliant with Good Laboratory Practice, Safety, Health, and Environment standards and all other relevant internal AstraZeneca standards and external regulations
- This is a hands-on, primarily laboratory based position.
- Responsible for the application of immunohistochemistry principles and techniques to help validate new targets.
- Prepares precise technical summaries, protocols and all appropriate documentation of experiments in laboratory notebooks. May provide assistance with preparation of manuscripts and/or patent applications.
- Able to make detailed observations, analyze data and interpret results, with potential for presenting findings at internal meetings.
- Provides solutions to a variety of problems involving basic scientific principles.
- Responsible for the correct operation and utilization of lab equipment, and overall state of the shared lab space.
- Responsible for establishing working relationships and credibility with department members and others within the company.
- Design and execute experiments, interpret results and subsequently plan new experiments to move a project forward.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills required.
- Ability to prioritize and thrive in a fast-paced, matrixed environment is required.
- Have a desire to learn basic human tissue histology and identification of basic elements of tissue under the microscope.
- Familiar with the use and application of Westerns and flow cytometry as they pertain to the validation of commercial antibodies.
About Our Gaithersburg Oncology Hub
Our Gaithersburg, Maryland facility creates life-changing medicines for people around the world. This campus employs more than 3,500 experts in our field and is only a short drive from Washington, DC. This modern and vibrant scientific campus is the home of R&D and Oncology in the US. Here, we play host to some of the most cutting-edge technology and lab spaces, all designed to inspire collaboration and cross-functional science. We believe employees benefit from being challenged and inspired at work. We are dedicated to creating a culture of inclusion and collaboration.
The Gaithersburg site offers a variety of amenities to help boost productivity and help keep our employees happy and healthy. This includes a fitness center, employee healthcare clinic, electric vehicle charging stations, dry cleaning, full-service cafeteria and copy center. This is where you’ll find newly-designed, activity-based work spaces to suit a variety of working styles while increasing collaboration between teams.
So, what’s next?
Are you already envisioning yourself joining our team? Good! We can’t wait to hear from you!
If you’re curious to know more, please contact Bobbi Poole, our Talent Acquisition Partner.
Closing Date: October 22, 2022
Competitive remuneration and benefits apply
We offer a competitive Total Reward program including a market driven base salary, bonus and long term incentive. We have a generous paid time off program and a comprehensive benefits package.
Where can I find out more?
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We follow all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements.
AstraZeneca requires all US employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 but will consider requests for reasonable accommodations as required by applicable law.