Scientist / Senior Scientist - Analytical Chemist & Chemical Biology
At AstraZeneca we work together across global boundaries to make an impact and find answers to challenges. We do this with the upmost integrity even in the most difficult situations because we are committed to doing the right thing. We continuously forge partnerships that help pursue world-class medicines in new ways, combining our people’s exceptional skills with those of people from all over the globe. As a part of our Protein Engineering team in Gaithersburg, MD, you’ll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients’ lives.
About AstraZeneca in Gaithersburg, MD
Our Gaithersburg, Maryland facility creates life-changing medicines for people around the world. This campus employs more than 3,500 experts in our field and is only a short drive from Washington, DC. This modern and vibrant scientific campus is the home of R&D and Oncology in the US. Here, we play host to some of the most cutting-edge technology and lab spaces, all designed to inspire collaboration and cross-functional science. We believe employees benefit from being challenged and inspired at work. We are dedicated to creating a culture of inclusion and collaboration.
The Gaithersburg site offers a variety of amenities to help boost productivity and help keep our employees happy and healthy. This includes a fitness center, employee healthcare clinic, electric vehicle charging stations, dry cleaning, full-service cafeteria and copy center. This is where you’ll find newly-designed, activity-based work spaces to suit a variety of working styles while increasing collaboration between teams.
Summary of the Group
The Molecular Engineering group within the Antibody Discovery and Protein Engineering (ADPE) department at AstraZeneca is constantly pushing the boundaries of science to deliver life-changing medicines to patients, with a passion for discovery and a pipeline to show for it. We’re utilizing our expertise in protein and antibody engineering to enable the isolation and delivery of novel therapeutic approaches to Oncology, Respiratory, Inflammatory, Cardiovascular and Infectious disease. We offer a unique and strong collaborative network as part of the AstraZeneca family, as together we explore new and exciting technologies.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
In this role, you will be part of a team of highly skilled and passionate individuals responsible for development and characterization of best in class antibody drug conjugates and novel biologics for various therapeutic areas. This is an excellent opportunity to bring innovative thinking and learning new skills within a multidisciplinary group as an analytical scientist.
- Develop and optimize analytical methods SEC-HPLC, RP, CE-SDS, icIEF, ELISA, IEX, Glycan analysis and HIC for antibody drug conjugates
- Develop high-throughput analytical methods for characterization and formulation of ADCs
- Develop mass spectrometric methods to calculate DAR and stability of ADCs
- Bring original ideas and “out-of-box” thinking to improve efficiency and build predictive analytical techniques
- Maintain and troubleshoot instrumentation and method issues
- Collaborate and work with a diverse group of scientists across many therapeutic areas, chemistry, and process development to ensure timely progress in research projects and drive technological innovations
Education & Experience Requirements:
Bachelors, or Masters in Analytical Chemistry, chemical biology or a closely related discipline and typically 7-12 (BA/BS), 5-10 (MA/MS), years of related industry experience.
- Experience developing and performing HPLC/UHPLC (SEC, IEX, RP, HIC, HILIC) icIEF capillary electrophoresis and protein characterization assays
- Hands on experience in operating various mass spec instruments is required
- Comfortable with learning new techniques like programming robotics, bioconjugation and cell culture
- Proven ability to work independently, effectively plan and organize work activities and prioritize task completion to meet project deadlines
- Demonstrated experience in optimizing/troubleshooting protocols with a problem-solving mindset and maintains a detailed laboratory notebook
- Track record of scientific innovation as evidenced by scientific publications, patents, and oral presentations at conferences
- Hands-on experience with mammalian cell culture and cytotoxicity assays
- Experience in automation of analytical techniques
- Experience in binding ELISAs, flow cytometry, Octet, etc.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and effective presentation of complex scientific data to cross-functional and senior management
At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change, we seize it and make it happen, because any opportunity no matter how small, can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing medicines is about being entrepreneurial - finding those moments and recognising their potential. Join us on our journey of building a new kind of organisation to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we’re opening new ways to work, pioneering cutting edge methods and bringing unexpected teams together. Interested? Come and join our journey.
So, what’s next?
Are you ready to bring new ideas and fresh thinking to the table? Brilliant! We have one seat available and we hope it’s yours.
Where can I find out more?
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.