Scientist I/II, Cell Therapy (Stem Cells) - BPD
Do you have a passion for Science? Would you like to apply your expertise to impact a company that follows the science and turns ideas into life changing medicines? Then AstraZeneca might be the one for you!
At AstraZeneca, we put patients first and strive to meet their unmet needs worldwide. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. If you are swift to action, confident to lead, willing to collaborate, and curious about what science can do, then you’re our kind of person.
About AstraZeneca in Gaithersburg, MD:
Our Gaithersburg, Maryland facility creates life-changing medicines for people around the world. This campus employs more than 3,500 experts in our field and is only a short drive from Washington, DC. This modern and vibrant scientific campus is the home of R&D and Oncology in the US. Here, we play host to some of the most cutting-edge technology and lab spaces, all designed to inspire collaboration and cross-functional science. We believe employees benefit from being challenged and inspired at work. We are dedicated to creating a culture of inclusion and collaboration.
The Gaithersburg site offers a variety of amenities to help boost productivity and help keep our employees happy and healthy. This includes a fitness center, employee healthcare clinic, electric vehicle charging stations, dry cleaning, full-service cafeteria and copy center. This is where you’ll find newly-designed, activity-based work spaces to suit a variety of working styles while increasing collaboration between teams.
Summary of the group:
The Cell Culture and Fermentation Sciences Group is accountable for cell line development, process development, and process characterization. This group assists in the scale up and technical transfer of processes to different clinical and commercial sites and also supports manufacturing deviations and regulatory submissions as needed.
Main Duties & Responsibilities:
This position within Cell Culture and Fermentation Sciences group would involve performing experiments to design, optimize, characterize, and scale up stem cell culture processes. The candidate will be expected to have a solid background in stem cell biology. The candidate is expected to have sound knowledge of different genome engineering approaches and apply those as needed for intended applications. The candidate will be involved in developing a manufacturing ready cell culture platform that can be scaled up consistently across scales. The work will involve performing cloning and subcloning processes for editing stem cells and evaluating/developing bioreactor platforms as well as different media for growing stem cells. Finally, the work will involve understanding how different nutritional, mechanical, and hydrodynamic parameters may affect stem cell fate. The following is desired of the candidate
- Performance of laboratory experiments using ESCs/iPSCs through cross functional interactions to advance the pipeline and understand the fundamental mechanism associated with stem cell differentiation and dedifferentiation of adult stem cells
- Makes detailed observations, analyses data, and interprets results. Demonstrates scientific rigor in assessing own data and that of others. Utilizes forward-looking perspective to contribute to “go/no go” decisions.
- Familiar with different analytical methods that are used to characterize different stages in stem cell proliferation and differentiation.
- Knowledge in either of all the of the following areas: stem cell biology, genetic manipulation of stem cells, or stem cell bioprocessing.
- Strategic thinker, Evolving subject matter expert in stem cell field, Good publication record, Leads/Participates in various cross functional technology development teams.
- Authors and contributes to development reports, scientific publications, patents, and regulatory submissions.
- Effectively presents results at internal meetings and external scientific meetings.
- Work effectively and collegially as a team member within a highly matrixed organizational structure
- A strong communicator who can effectively perform the technical transfer activities and manufacturing support for the clinical/commercial process
- Candidates with prior experience in stem cell biology, stem cell genomics, or stem cell bioprocessing will be preferred
Education & Experience Requirements:
BS/MS/PhD in Chemical/Biochemical/Biomedical Engineering, Biotechnology, Biochemistry, Cell Biology, Immunology or Biological Sciences
Sci I: Ph.D with 0+ years or Master's degree with 8+ years or Bachelor's degree with 10+ years of relevant experience. Must have 1-2 years of experience working directly with ESCs/iPSCs.
Sci II: Ph.D with 3+ years or Master's degree with 10+ years or Bachelor's degree with 13+ years of relevant experience. Must have 3+ years of experience working directly with ESCs/iPSCs.
- Strong background in stem cell biology or bioprocessing
- Excellent teamwork and communication skills including proven technical writing skills, good publication record
- Experience with stem cell engineering or process development
- Expertise in one of key scientific areas such as stem cell genomic or stem cell bioprocessing
At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change, we seize it and make it happen, because any opportunity no matter how small, can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing medicines is about being entrepreneurial - finding those moments and recognising their potential. Join us on our journey of building a new kind of organisation to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we’re opening new ways to work, pioneering cutting edge methods and bringing unexpected teams together. Interested? Come and join our journey.
So, what’s next!
Are you ready to bring new ideas and fresh thinking to the table? Brilliant! We have one seat available and we hope it’s yours.
Where can I find out more?
Check out our landing page for more information on our BPD group https://careers.astrazeneca.com/bpd
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.