Scientist I/II - Cell Culture & Fermentation Sciences - BPD
Do you have a passion for Science? Would you like to apply your expertise to impact a company that follows the science and turns ideas into life changing medicines? Then AstraZeneca might be the one for you!
At AstraZeneca, we put patients first and strive to meet their unmet needs worldwide. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. If you are swift to action, confident to lead, willing to collaborate, and curious about what science can do, then you’re our kind of person.
About AstraZeneca in Gaithersburg, MD:
Our Gaithersburg, Maryland facility creates life-changing medicines for people around the world. This campus employs more than 3,500 experts in our field and is only a short drive from Washington, DC. This modern and vibrant scientific campus is the home of R&D and Oncology in the US. Here, we play host to some of the most cutting-edge technology and lab spaces, all designed to inspire collaboration and cross-functional science. We believe employees benefit from being challenged and inspired at work. We are dedicated to creating a culture of inclusion and collaboration.
The Gaithersburg site offers a variety of amenities to help boost productivity and help keep our employees happy and healthy. This includes a fitness center, employee healthcare clinic, electric vehicle charging stations, dry cleaning, full-service cafeteria and copy center. This is where you’ll find newly-designed, activity-based work spaces to suit a variety of working styles while increasing collaboration between teams.
Summary of the group:
Cell Culture Fermentation Sciences (CCFS) designs, develops, optimizes and validates cell culture and fermentation processes for a wide range of biological products. The team generates optimal cell lines and is also responsible for technology transfers into manufacturing. High throughput scale-down models are employed to develop media and processes to support production. The team has occupied a leadership position in industry in terms of antibody productivity and incorporates the latest developments in automation and analytics into its work.
Main Duties & Responsibilities:
The Scientist’s role is to develop and optimize of upstream biological production processes, either for the purpose of protein expression or viral vector production. Major duties and responsibilities include:
- Develop robust upstream manufacturing processes, including cell expansion development for various host cells lines and designing and executing experiments in shake flasks or small scale bioreactors (AMBR15/AMBR250 and 3L) to develop and optimize process performance for viral vectors or recombinant proteins
- Generate upstream material to support the cross-functional development of pipeline assets
- Make detailed observations, analyze data, interpret results, and exercise appropriate technical discretion in the design, execution, and interpretation of experimental results in an independent manner.
- Preparation of technical reports, experimental protocols, and technical summaries for presentation as well as participation in the technology transfer of processes into cGMP production facilities
- Present and discuss experimental results at group and project team meetings as well as scientific conferences
- He/she must be able to work in a team-based structure and interface with research and process development departments, including training and leading from the bench junior scientist
Education & Experience Requirements:
- BS/MS/PhD in Chemical/Biochemical Engineering, Biotechnology, Biochemistry, Cell Biology, Immunology or Biological Sciences.
- Sci I: Bachelor's degree and 10+ years or Master's degree and 8+ years or PhD and 0+ years of relevant industry or academia experience
- Sci II: Bachelor's degree and 13+ years or Master's degree and 10+ years or PhD and 3+ years of relevant industry or academia experience
- Possess practical knowledge of process engineering and biopharmaceutical operations
- Strong foundation in mammalian cell culture techniques, transfections, and solid aseptic technique.
- “Hands-on” working experience with fermentors/bioreactors in the development and optimization of viral vector platforms/AAV /recombinant proteins
- Understanding of safety, health & environment (SHE) and relevant standards
- Must be able to generate complete and concise written documentation and presentations with little supervision and be able to present data in a clear and concise manner to various teams
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to collaborate with colleagues in a cross-functional, fast paced team environment
- Molecular biology skills such as recombinant DNA techniques and plasmid purification
- Use of DOE (design of experiments) approach in process development and optimization, including use of statistical programs such as JMP
- Experience and/or working knowledge of recovery and clarification techniques
- Experience in single-use and perfusion technology
At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change, we seize it and make it happen, because any opportunity no matter how small, can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing medicines is about being entrepreneurial - finding those moments and recognising their potential. Join us on our journey of building a new kind of organisation to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we’re opening new ways to work, pioneering cutting edge methods and bringing unexpected teams together. Interested? Come and join our journey.
So, what’s next!
Are you ready to bring new ideas and fresh thinking to the table? Brilliant! We have one seat available and we hope it’s yours.
Where can I find out more?
Check out our landing page for more information on our BPD group https://careers.astrazeneca.com/bpd
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.