Regional Lean Coach (Director) - Biologics - Gaithersburg, MD
At AstraZeneca we work together across global boundaries to make an impact and find answers to challenges. We do this with the upmost integrity even in the most difficult situations because we are committed to doing the right thing. We continuously forge partnerships that help pursue world-class medicines in new ways, combining our people’s exceptional skills with those of people from all over the globe.
As a Regional Lean Coach (Director) in Gaithersburg, MD within Biologics Operations, you’ll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients’ lives. Operations at AstraZeneca is a truly world-class business unit. It offers one of the most exciting, fast paced, challenging and rewarding work environments in the world of Operations, Supply Chain and Manufacturing.
AstraZeneca Supply System (AZSS) is an integrated production system for how we design, manage, and continuously improve our operations and supporting business processes, enabled through the development of our people. The Biologics Lean Team is responsible for driving operational excellence in end-to-end, integrated, highly interdependent supply chain to enable transformational change in the operating systems, management systems, and mindsets, behaviors and capabilities of our people to produce product at high quality, for low cost, and in a short lead time.
The Regional Lean Coach (Director) will work with leaders across various functions within the Biologics sites, utilizing a mix of transactional and manufacturing lean principles to drive continuous improvement at the process and systems level through application of AZSS Principles utilizing the AZSS Roadmap. Approximately 50% of the time will be spent on the shop floor providing direct, hands on support of activities, while 25% will be spent coaching Leaders within the Biologics Operations/Function/Region. Due to the nature of the work and diversity of sites, expected travel will be around 50%.
- You will partner with and consult Functional Leaders, Plant Managers and their Leadership Teams along with other Lean Leads to develop plans and execute performance improvement activities using lean methodologies across the Biologics Operations business.
- You will develop, deploy and execute AZSS strategies (including people development) that are clearly linked to Biologics Operations and Divisional Operations outcome measures.
- As part of this role, you will be responsible for end-to-end Operations / Function / Region processes and projects to drive results and realize intended business benefit.
- Utilizing various Lean and Six Sigma tools and techniques you will diagnose, analyze and improve business processes.
- You will coach site teams and demonstrate the hands-on application of development of standardized work, improvement of standardized work, design of balanced work to takt time with smooth flow, level load demand, reduction of lead time, inventory, and change-over time
- Proactively recognize and mitigate barriers to cross-functional initiatives and will act as an intermediary across divisional, geographical, and cultural boundaries.
- In this role, you will promote a culture of continuous improvement utilizing Lean principles, and challenging the status quo, while driving departmental / regional strategies across the Biologics Business area that align with AstraZeneca’s long-term strategy
- You will lead deep process analysis through value stream mapping to measure stagnation of inventory and information and lead kaizen to increase capacity and improve process performance
- You will apply Scientific Problem Solving (8-Step) methodology to solve complex problems with multiple independent variable
- Build trust and develop new relationships with internal and external clients to effectively collaborate and achieve successful outcomes at a regional/global
• Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Operations Management or related discipline
• Certified Lean Leader or equivalent
• Experience of working with functional teams in a transactional environment, or demonstrated understanding of applying manufacturing lean principles in a transactional environment
• Experience in analyzing complex end-to-end supply chains and driving process improvement
• Extensive experience of demonstrated hands-on experience in the application of Lean tools and techniques: Standardized Work, scientific problem solving, kaizen, value stream mapping, mistake proofing, SMED, level loading demand and pull systems
• Experience in analyzing Value Streams and driving process improvement
• Experience in applying consultative skills: ability to influence decision making, ability to interact with all levels of the business (senior leaders to shop floor working teams), project management skills (demonstrated experience in managing large teams), solid business acumen, proven team building skills, exceptionally good listening skills, results oriented, strong analytical skills, and prior process improvement experience.
• Coaching, teaching, and driving a high-performance organization through lean methodology
Next Steps – Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.