R&D Associate II/Associate Scientist I - Formulations - BPD
This position is a hands-on, laboratory-based role that supports formulation development activities of monoclonal antibodies and novel protein-based molecules. Formulation development activities include stability testing and characterization of routes of degradation of proteins in liquid and lyophilized formulations under accelerated temperature and refrigerated storage conditions and under agitation and freeze-thaw stresses in a variety of containers.
Laboratory activities include buffer and protein solution preparation, pipetting and aseptic operations in a biosafety cabinet. Analytical methods that are used routinely include HPLC (reversed-phase, size-exclusion, and ion-exchange chromatography), UV-visible spectroscopy, HIAC and MicroFlow Imaging for sub-visible particle counting. Biophysical instrumentation (differential scanning calorimetry, titration calorimetry, fluorescence, circular dichroism) will occasionally be used for protein structural characterization. Activities in support of Drug Product manufacturing may be performed, which include mixing studies, process robustness and tech transfer activities.
The candidate will work under general supervision and his/her work will be reviewed for accuracy and soundness of technical approach. The candidate will make detailed observations, summarize results in tables and figures, document data into lab notebooks, and analyze data and interpret results. Candidate will be expected to present data and results at group and department meetings as well as other internal forums. The individual should be familiar with general laboratory techniques and must be able to perform basic calculations.
A successful candidate will join a fast-paced and collaborative work environment where he or she will learn cutting-edge techniques and further develop his or her scientific abilities under the supervision of highly trained and experienced scientists. He or she will become part of a scientifically driven team in a world class biotechnology company committed to bringing important new medicines to patients.
Position Requirements & Education:
BS or MS in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Bioengineering or a related field with appropriate years of laboratory based experience (prior experience working with proteins is a plus).
R&D Associate II:Bachelor's degree with 2+ years of experience OR Master's degree with 0+ years of experience.
Associate Scientist I:Bachelor's degree with 5+ years of experience OR Masters degree with 2+ years of experience.
- Candidate must have experience with formulation development activities such as monoclonal antibodies and novel protein-based molecules.
- Experience with Analytical methods such as HPLC, UV-visible spectroscopy, HIAC and MicroFlow Imaging, DSC, CD (circular dichroism) or Fluorescence.
- Familiarity with Drug Product manufacturing and tech transfer support.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office products (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) are a must.
- Experience with protein/peptide formulation, lyophilization and characterization are a plus.
- Additional experience with the above biophysical techniques is a plus but not required.
- Prior lab experience with SEC, UV-vis spectroscopy, HPLC are a plus.
- Candidate must be able to perform independent laboratory work and effectively apply chemistry, biochemistry and pharmaceutical knowledge and principles to the design and execution of laboratory experiments.
- Candidate will be expected to contribute to or provide solutions to technical problems and think creatively.
- This is a laboratory-based position and the candidate must be familiar with basic laboratory operations (weighing chemicals, balance operation, pH measurement, buffer preparation, and lab safety) as well as performing basic mathematical calculations.
- Candidate must have strong interpersonal, communication and presentation skills and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced dynamic environment.
- Good verbal and written communication skills, attention to detail and organized work habits are essential.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.