R&D Associate II/Associate Scientist I - BPD
Do you have a passion for Science? Would you like to apply your expertise to impact a company that follows the science and turns ideas into life changing medicines? Then AstraZeneca might be the one for you!
At AstraZeneca, we put patients first and strive to meet their unmet needs worldwide. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. If you are swift to action, confident to lead, willing to collaborate, and curious about what science can do, then you’re our kind of person.
About AstraZeneca in Gaithersburg, MD:
Our Gaithersburg, Maryland facility creates life-changing medicines for people around the world. This campus employs more than 3,500 experts in our field and is only a short drive from Washington, DC. This modern and vibrant scientific campus is the home of R&D and Oncology in the US. Here, we play host to some of the most cutting-edge technology and lab spaces, all designed to inspire collaboration and cross-functional science. We believe employees benefit from being challenged and inspired at work. We are dedicated to creating a culture of inclusion and collaboration.
The Gaithersburg site offers a variety of amenities to help boost productivity and help keep our employees happy and healthy. This includes a fitness center, employee healthcare clinic, electric vehicle charging stations, dry cleaning, full-service cafeteria and copy center. This is where you’ll find newly-designed, activity-based work spaces to
suit a variety of working styles while increasing collaboration between teams.
Summary of the group:
The Biotechnology and Engineering team works to develop and apply new technologies and engineering analysis to manufacturing biologics such as the COVID-19 antibody treatment being developed at AstraZeneca. We use engineering and science to understand and solve problems. Our team will work with bioreactors and genetically modified Chinese hamster ovary cells to produce new drugs, and we will develop new ways of purifying them so that we can provide them to patients around the world. We work closely with a much larger team including scientists, engineers, and project managers from the UK and US.
Some team members will rotate through cell culture and purification development, and get experience at the bench scale and at production scale in a non-GMP manufacturing facility.
Main Duties & Responsibilities:
• Work with matrix teams (BTE, Development, Engineering, Manufacturing, Validation, and Quality) to evaluate, design, develop, and implement new equipment, process technologies, PAT, predictive process scaling, or advanced process controls across laboratory and pilot scales to support next generation manufacturing or platform processes for upstream or downstream bioprocess unit operations.
• Perform experiments and/or modeling simulations to demonstrate process engineering solutions.
• Provide bioreactor scaling support during cell culture process transfers to clinical manufacturing, validation runs, and contract manufacturing organizations.
• Perform harvest characterization studies, support harvest tech transfers, and contribute to BLA filings.
Education & Experience Requirements:
A Bachelors, or Masters Degree in a scientific or engineering discipline with a focus in a process engineering field (e.g., chemical or biochemical engineering) is strongly preferred. The candidate must have industry related experience.
R&D Associate II: BS and 2+ years of experience OR a Master's degree and 0+ years of experience
Associate Scientist I: Bachelor's and 5+ years of experience OR a Master's degree and 2+ years of experience.
• Working knowledge of process control and automation
• Skilled in root cause analysis and problem-solving with limited data.
• Skilled in conducting empirical studies.
• Experience with data and statistical analysis.
• Skilled in effectively explaining complex scientific or engineering concepts to a broader, diverse, cross-functional audience.
• Fundamental understanding of unit operations such as mixing, bioreactor, centrifugation, filtration, or chromatography.
• Experience with operating bench, pilot, or production scale bioprocess equipment.
• Demonstrated experience with process, equipment, or automation design.
• Knowledge of GMP manufacturing principles and documentation.
• Knowledge of the drug development process, global regulations, process validation and ICH guidelines.
At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change, we seize it and make it happen, because any opportunity no matter how small, can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing medicines is about being entrepreneurial - finding those moments and recognising their potential. Join us on our journey of building a new kind of organisation to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we’re opening new ways to work, pioneering cutting edge methods and bringing unexpected teams together. Interested? Come and join our journey.
So, what’s next!
Are you ready to bring new ideas and fresh thinking to the table? Brilliant! We have one seat available and we hope it’s yours.
Where can I find out more?
Check out our landing page for more information on our BPD group https://careers.astrazeneca.com/bpd
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.