R&D Associate I/II Fermentation - BPD
Do you have a passion for Science? Would you like to apply your expertise to impact a company that follows the science and turns ideas into life changing medicines? Then AstraZeneca might be the one for you!
At AstraZeneca, we put patients first and strive to meet their unmet needs worldwide. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. If you are swift to action, confident to lead, willing to collaborate, and curious about what science can do, then you’re our kind of person.
Join us to be part of bringing life changing medicines to patients in the Biopharmaceutical Development Group! We are now recruiting an R&D Associate to be a part of the fermentation team within Cell Culture & Fermentation Sciences. The position is placed in Gaithersburg, MD, USA.
About AstraZeneca in Gaithersburg, MD
Our Gaithersburg, Maryland facility creates life-changing medicines for people around the world. This campus employs more than 3,500 experts in our field and is only a short drive from Washington, DC. This modern and vibrant scientific campus is the home of R&D and Oncology in the US. Here, we play host to some of the most cutting-edge technology and lab spaces, all designed to inspire collaboration and cross-functional science. We believe employees benefit from being challenged and inspired at work. We are dedicated to creating a culture of inclusion and collaboration.
The Gaithersburg site offers a variety of amenities to help boost productivity and help keep our employees happy and healthy. This includes a fitness center, employee healthcare clinic, electric vehicle charging stations, dry cleaning, full-service cafeteria and copy center. This is where you’ll find newly-designed, activity-based work spaces to suit a variety of working styles while increasing collaboration between teams.
Summary of the Group
Cell Culture & Fermentation Sciences is an arm of the Biopharmaceutical Development Group. We are responsible for developing all of the clinical and commercial processes that use microbial or mammalian cells to generate therapeutic proteins.
Main Duties & Responsibilities
In this role you will be part of a team of highly skilled scientists working on fermentation projects using multiple microbial hosts.
- Operate fermentors at bench scale, analyze data from experiments, and generate reports or presentations as needed both internally and externally.
- Seek to improve processes and maximize innovation using literature reviews.
- Manipulate and generate of microbial cell lines
- Maintain equipment and troubleshoot operational problems in laboratory while striving to move into cutting edge technologies.
- Support technical transfers of fermentation processes and act as person in plant to support pilot scale fermentations driving towards becoming a subject matter expert.
- Build and maintain a work environment in which scientific challenge and passion are maximized while ensuring that quality work is performed in accordance with compliance regulations, corporate guidelines and rules
Education & Experience Requirements
- R&D Associate I: Bachelors degree in Chemical/Biochemical Engineering/Biotechnology/ or relevant field and hands on experience with fermentation. 0+ yrs experience
- R&D Associate II: Bachelors degree and 2+ years or Masters degree and 0+ years of experience in fermentation. Chemical/Biochemical Engineering/Biotechnology/ or relevant field.
- Clear understanding of aseptic technique
- Has strong ability to pay attention to details
- Willingness to be self-sufficient in the lab
- Passion for exciting science and constant learning
- Outstanding teamwork
- Molecular biology techniques
- Design of Experiment and other statistical methodology knowledge
At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change, we seize it and make it happen, because any opportunity no matter how small, can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing medicines is about being entrepreneurial - finding those moments and recognising their potential. Join us on our journey of building a new kind of organisation to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we’re opening new ways to work, pioneering cutting edge methods and bringing unexpected teams together. Interested? Come and join our journey.
So, what’s next?
Are you ready to bring new ideas and fresh thinking to the table? Brilliant! We have one seat available and we hope it’s yours.
Where can I find out more?
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.