R&D Associate I/II - BPD
Do you have a passion for Science? Would you like to apply your expertise to impact a company that follows the science and turns ideas into life changing medicines? Then AstraZeneca might be the one for you!
At AstraZeneca, we put patients first and strive to meet their unmet needs worldwide. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. If you are swift to action, confident to lead, willing to collaborate, and curious about what science can do, then you’re our kind of person.
About AstraZeneca in Gaithersburg, MD:
Our Gaithersburg, Maryland facility creates life-changing medicines for people around the world. This campus employs more than 3,500 experts in our field and is only a short drive from Washington, DC. This modern and vibrant scientific campus is the home of R&D and Oncology in the US. Here, we play host to some of the most cutting-edge technology and lab spaces, all designed to inspire collaboration and cross-functional science. We believe employees benefit from being challenged and inspired at work. We are dedicated to creating a culture of inclusion and collaboration.
The Gaithersburg site offers a variety of amenities to help boost productivity and help keep our employees happy and healthy. This includes a fitness center, employee healthcare clinic, electric vehicle charging stations, dry cleaning, full-service cafeteria and copy center. This is where you’ll find newly-designed, activity-based work spaces to suit a variety of working styles while increasing collaboration between teams.
Summary of the group:
The Cell Culture and Fermentation Sciences Group is accountable for cell line development, process development, and process characterization. This group assists in the scale up and technical transfer of processes to different clinical and commercial sites and also supports manufacturing deviations and regulatory submissions as needed.
Main Duties & Responsibilities:
This position within Cell Culture and Fermentation Sciences will involve substantial amount of hands on cell culture work to develop, scale up, and characterize mammalian culture processes. The candidate will be expected to execute experiments on a routine basis to develop and characterize the upstream cell culture processes and be familiar with the basics of DOE including screening and optimization designs. Below find the main responsibilities associated with the job:
- Performance of shake flask and bioreactor runs
- Performance of different analytical tests to characterize mammalian cells
- Development of media for mammalian cells
- Performance of laboratory experiments to understand the fundamental mechanism associated with growth, productivity, scale up, and scale down of cell culture processes
- A team player and strong communicator who can effectively perform the technical transfer activities and manufacturing support for the clinical/commercial process
- Makes detailed observations, analyses data, and interprets results. Demonstrates scientific rigor in assessing own data and that of others. Utilizes forward-looking perspective to contribute to “go/no go” decisions.
- Leads/Participates in various cross functional technology development teams.
- Authors and contributes to scientific publications, patents, and regulatory submissions.
- Effectively presents results at internal meetings and external scientific meetings.
- BS/MS in Chemical/Biochemical/Biomedical Engineering, Biotechnology, Biochemistry, or Biological Sciences
- Relevant experience of 0-2 years with a Bachelor’s degree for RAI position, 0-2 years with a Master’s degree or 2-5 years with a Bachelor’s degree for RAII position
- Expertise in one of key scientific areas
- Excellent teamwork and communication skills including proven technical writing skills are required. Position may require weekend work.
- Strong background in experimental design and data analysis skills are essential.
- Experience with bioprocessing/scale-up, bioreactor characterization (mixing, mass transfer), or harvest development (TFF, centrifugation, depth filtration), Experience running experiments using DOE principle
At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change, we seize it and make it happen, because any opportunity no matter how small, can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing medicines is about being entrepreneurial - finding those moments and recognising their potential. Join us on our journey of building a new kind of organisation to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we’re opening new ways to work, pioneering cutting edge methods and bringing unexpected teams together. Interested? Come and join our journey.
So, what’s next!
Are you ready to bring new ideas and fresh thinking to the table? Brilliant! We have one seat available and we hope it’s yours.
Where can I find out more?
Check out our landing page for more information on our BPD group https://careers.astrazeneca.com/bpd
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.