Product Discovery & Design Lead - (OFR0242)
Product Discovery & Design Lead
Job Description / Capsule
At AstraZeneca, we lead our industry in our development of a strong and varied pipeline. This means our people are here to win, we give you a breadth of opportunities to be curious and do cutting edge, unique work that has huge impact on science and medicine. We explore innovations and confront challenges that others won't, in order to have a greater impact on patients' lives.
AstraZeneca’s Digital Health R&D and IT functions partner closely with a common goal of spectacularly improving patient experience and outcomes. We are contributing to the transformation of healthcare, re-setting expectations on how to augment patient outcomes by using digital health solutions in combination with life-changing treatments. This is a strategic priority that we are scaling rapidly from a significant number of pilots in the last 5 years. AstraZeneca would like to leap frog in this area and has prioritized digital in R&D as a critical strategic area of focus by 2025, as part of the overall company strategy. We seek strong talent to join our teams in delivering on this ambition!
The Digital Health R&D journey incorporates 3 key stages:
- Stage 1 – foundational, reimagining how we work, by maximizing the use of digital, data and analytics to transform processes within R&D – delivering significant benefits on speed of portfolio delivery (goal of 9 months acceleration) productivity (goal of 20% reduction in cost per patient per year), quality at source, patient experience and probability of success.
- Stage 2 – advanced, redefining clinical trials and digital health to improve overall patient experiences and outcomes, such as redefining patient populations, conducting remote clinical trials, developing patient apps to reduce/lead adverse events and improve patient outcomes (Overall Survival), using data from EMR/EHR and RWD instead of control arms, conduct continuous patient monitoring through PROs, and creating new end points enabling studies in earlier stages of disease (ctDNA changes).
- Stage 3 – future-readiness, reimagining healthcare, such as AZ as a healthcare provider beyond medicines for certain indications (example: Breast Cancer, providing monitoring, predictive analytics and therapies for improved outcomes), full integration of Multiomics (imaging, genomics, proteomics …) to better predict and significantly improve patients’ health
The Product Discovery & Design Lead will help enable efforts across the Digital Health R&D space focused on all three stages of our digital journey. This role is a thought leader and partner to product managers who help guide teams to focus on making the right things and making things right. You’ll help tackle longstanding industry challenges and uncover opportunities made possible by the latest technological advances. Strategic relationship development is essential, as you’ll be challenging how others uncover opportunities and approach solutions. The ideal candidate will bring a diverse background from multiple domains to apply new methods and technologies that help dramatically improve the lives of patients we serve. The role combines in-depth understanding of people, an approach for curiosity and experimentation, with a passion for building innovative technology solutions.
Come join our team in pushing the boundaries of science and technology to transform the lives of patients living with cancer, and ultimately eliminating cancer as a cause of death.
In this role, you may lead and mentor other product discovery leads and product designers across several teams who are working collaboratively as part of our R&D IT team.
Typical accountabilities of this role include:
- Helping to ensure product teams are discovering and aligning solutions to the needs of patients, partners, and providers
- Building domain knowledge by aligning with the business and developing a deep understanding of how ‘it’ works (for individuals, at AstraZeneca, and in the industry)
- Assisting teams in fully exploring the problem space, framing opportunities, and focusing on outcomes and delivered value (not just solutions)
- Help teams be divergent, think deeply, address underlying corollaries and causes, and become comfortable with ambiguity
- Embedding a sense of empathy and connection across the team for who they’re building for (and why they’re building it)
- Guiding teams to think further into the future and actively propose new areas of opportunity (what aren’t they thinking about that they should be?)
- Being a ‘prophet' of what’s to come in the industry, in technology overall, and across new domains that others aren’t exploring today
- Guiding teams in developing true Product Market Fit (PMF) and validating solutions through interviews, testing, third party research, and other modern discovery methods
- Inspiring others how to develop good questions and interview to better understand underlying needs, thoughts, and behaviors
- Helping teams to seek disconfirming information and experimenting to speed up learning
- Conducting both heuristic and usability evaluations of existing and proposed designs
- Crafting compelling and influential presentations, telling a story to all levels of the organization (including executives)
- Facilitating workshops and co-design sessions to help get teams unstuck, challenge their thinking, and learn new approaches to solving challenges
- Leading up front design direction through sketching, collaborative team involvement, and prototyping, etc.
- Driving toward innovative solutions within platform constraints and technical limitations
- Facilitating dialog around needs, pain points, journeys, and key features
- Working with product team members to define an MVP as well as building a future ‘vision’ for a product
- Partner with stakeholders, product owners, and development leads to plan strategic direction of products that align with business goals and customer needs
- Using data as a key element for design decisions and learning
- Building solutions, not just screens (a solution could be a new process, tool, input, bot, or other medium)
Education, Qualifications and Experience
- Demonstrable experience in Product Discovery and Design
- Rich experience in helping to discover and define technology solutions in both clinical and commercial settings
- Experience of identification and implementation of innovative technology solutions
- Evidence of leading and developing innovative solutions
- Experience of defining the business strategies and influencing the vision of senior leaders
- A proven track record of delivering results
- Ability to travel both domestically and internationally
- Experience across the full design process: discovery, ideation, conception, prototyping, testing, delivery, etc.
- A portfolio that demonstrates your ability to empathize with your audience and demonstrate that empathy to create useful, intuitive and desirable solutions.
- Solid experience with current discovery tools and methods (Dovetail, Userzoom, dscout, Lookback, Validately, Typeform, Mural/Miro, FullStory, etc)
- Solid experience with current design and prototyping tools (Sketch, Invision, Principle, Figma, Framer, etc)
- Graduate level education in a related degree (HCI, UX, Psychology, Anthropology, etc)
- Experience in the pharma or healthcare industry
- Experience working across diverse, global teams
Skills and Capabilities
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including presenting to senior partners
- Excellent influencing, networking and team working skills
- High level awareness of developments in the Information Technology marketplace
- Expert relationship building skills with the ability to influence others to achieve objectives
- Expertise in planning, change management and problem solving and able to resolve issues of a highly sophisticated and strategic nature
- Demonstrable ability to relate and respond to business needs in an IT environment
- Extensive experience with user interface design patterns and standard UCD methodologies across multiple platforms
- Focusing on the complete experience by thinking beyond individual screens to understand what people are trying to accomplish (what are the triggers, outcomes, etc.).
- Knowing how it’s all connected. It’s one thing to make new designs. It’s another to tackle sophisticated business problems tied to existing technology and systems.
- Prior experience/proof of helping to shift a product direction, reframe a problem, or get teams ‘unstuck’ by learning more deeply about who they’re building for
- An ability to get beneath the surface of what people say they want to truly understand what they need
- An ability to zoom in and out from the details up to 30,000 feet and see a problem from new directions/dimensions
- Ability to work well in and across diverse global teams
- Ability to partner and work in a matrix organisation
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.