At AstraZeneca, we work together across global boundaries to make an impact and find answers to challenges. We do this with the utmost integrity even in the most difficult situations because we are committed to doing the right thing. We continuously forge partnerships that help pursue world-class medicines in new ways, combining our people’s exceptional skills with those of people from all over the globe.
This is a unique opportunity to join a newly formed tissue biomarkers and digital pathology group at AstraZeneca Oncology
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
AstraZeneca seeks an experienced MD, DVM, PhD or MD/PhD scientist with the experience in discovering/developing insights from the analysis of tumors and tissues into testable clinical hypothesis, particularly as they relate to immuno-oncology and antibody-drug conjugates. You will have the unique opportunity to join a cross-functional team of pathologists, image analysts, bioinformaticians and translational medicine scientists. Using the latest imaging technologies and analysis tools, you will be responsible for developing an understand of the tumor contexture and how it relates to sensitivity and resistance to AstraZeneca’s clinical stage oncology pipeline. Your insights and analysis will help drive the long-term translational for our promising early stage programs.
Specific duties and major responsibilities include:
- Support project teams as an internal expert on analysis of tumor tissue and its application to drug development.
- Developing strategic and effective tissue biomarker strategies for the oncology projects.
- Partnering with key stakeholders across the company to implement the translational medicine strategy.
- Implement biomarker and pathology capabilities across the oncology projects.
- Work in a cross-functional team to be at the forefront of tissue biomarker technology, including digital pathology and multi-dimensional analysis.
Education: M.D., Ph.D., M.D./Ph.D., DVM/PhD, or equivalent with at least 3 years of industry or academic experience in research and development. Training in pathology is desired.
Experience: Demonstrated scientific credentials in analysis of tumor tissues with proven track record of translating insights into actionable drug development strategies. Experience in techniques such as immuno-histochemistry, multiplex immuno-fluorescence, CyTOF strongly desired. Experience and interest in developing cutting edge digital pathology approaches is preferred. A strong candidate will have a working understanding of the development of Immuno-oncology therapeutics.
- An expert in tissue biomarkers, including digital pathology and image analysis.
- A strong understanding of the development of fit for purpose IHC assays and the analyses through all stages of drug development.
- Published in the immunology/immuno-oncology community.
- Understanding of the molecular pathways underlying cancer with demonstrated success in translating to development of drugs.
- Understanding of how digital pathology can accelerate the drug development process.
- Must have solid understanding of prognostic and predictive biomarkers and personalized healthcare approaches; understanding of bioinformatics is preferred.
- Strong strategic thinker with the judgement and skills to influence drug-development teams.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills with ability to represent AstraZeneca Oncology translation medicine internally and externally to academic community and regulatory bodies.
- Resourceful, motivated, decisive and proactive; must be able to manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced organization.
- Organizational skills with attention to detail and demonstrated ability to review technical reports, biomarker protocols and quantitative analyses.
Job Complexity: Complex team and program management abilities. Will be an integral member of an international cross-functional team of scientists and represent AstraZeneca Translational Medicine/Definiens project teams, but also could include AstraZeneca senior management, the academic community and regulatory bodies.
Supervision: Reports to Head of Tissue Biomarkers and Digital Pathology group in R&D.
Next Steps – Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.