Oncology Medical Evidence Head, Delivery and Operations
Do you have expertise in, and passion for Medical Affairs in Oncology? Would you like to apply your expertise to impact the Oncology Medical Evidence Head, Delivery and Operations role in a company that follows the science and turns ideas into life changing medicines? Then AstraZeneca might be the one for you!
At AstraZeneca, we put patients first and strive to meet their unmet needs worldwide. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. If you are swift to action, confident to lead, willing to collaborate, and curious about what science can do, then you’re our kind of person.
AstraZeneca’s vision in Oncology is to help patients by redefining the cancer-treatment paradigm, with the aim of bringing six new cancer medicines to patients between 2013 and 2020. A broad pipeline of next-generation medicines is focused principally on four disease areas - breast, ovarian, lung and hematological cancers. As well as other tumor types, these are being targeted through five key platforms - immunotherapy, the genetic drivers of cancer and resistance, DNA damage repair, HER2 and antibody drug conjugates, underpinned by personalized healthcare and biomarker technologies.
Global Medical Affairs (GMA) Oncology ensures the best patient outcomes by providing healthcare decision-makers around the world with the evidence and confidence they need on AZ therapies and support our internal stakeholders with medical insight and expertise. provides medical leadership with market participation and connectivity while also impacting the life cycle planning and execution of all our products. GMA aims to lead AstraZeneca in achieving scientific leadership by engaging and partnership with KEEs and healthcare professionals globally, collecting insights and addressing evidence gaps, and keeping patients at the core of everything we do.
Medical Evidence is a key group within GMA and is accountable for the delivery of Global strategic studies required to generate the evidence to build the confidence on AZ therapies and additional Observational research and Externally sponsored research required by Global Product Teams.
The Head, Delivery & Operations secures a consistent and standardized operating model for OBU Evidence project delivery worldwide, working with internal stakeholders and External Service Providers (External scientific partners & CRO’s).
The Head, Delivery & Operations is accountable for the strategic planning, implementation and delivery of the OBU Evidence project portfolio, within agreed time, costs and to inspection ready quality standards by partnership with medical franchise heads and GMALs.
The Head, Delivery & Operations is a senior leadership role regarding OBU Evidence strategic planning, program initiation, execution and completion through deep knowledge of observational research, ESR and Clinical Trials delivery and execution capabilities and consultation with Global Medical Franchise heads.
- Lead the design and delivery of Medical Evidence Operations to drive simplification and the digitisation of the OBU Medical Evidence portfolio
- Lead the GMA Oncology Medical Evidence Delivery organization to deliver the agreed OBU Evidence project portfolio to plan and to budget
- Select and manage key 3rd party relationships inc. CROs to enable continuous improvement projects to achieve efficiency opportunities and to manage reactive and proactively peaks of required delivery.
- Work with Global R&D and Oncology Medical Teams (global and regional) to integrate MSLs in site interactions as part of the GMA Oncology Evidence delivery model
- Authorize the project go-ahead following governance approval and confirmation of protocol feasibility and resource availability
- Accountable for the consistent achievement of the operating and study financial objectives of the GMA Oncology Evidence Delivery organization
- Optimize the execution of GMA Oncology Evidence projects to ensure a business focused, efficient organization with a view of introducing new standards for execution in order to secure a consistent operating model across the regions
- Accountable for the development of systems and metrics to effectively assess the level of process and project performance, and for continuous improvement of key performance indicators e.g. reliability, quality, cycle times
- Ensure compliance with applicable standards and regulations governing the conduct of clinical research and observational research
- Leads or oversees a diverse range of initiatives to improve decision making and ensure continuous improvement within GMA Oncology
- Leads, guides, evaluates and develops a management team within own portfolio area of GMA Oncology to ensure it achieves its objectives and complies with all relevant regulation and laws
- Accountable for developing a large multi-layered high performing team, fostering a culture of performance development, accountability inclusion and diversity across geographies
- Responsible for ensuring adherence to all AZ internal and external compliance regulations - maintains a good working knowledge of company standards on medicines promotion and supports the Nominated Signatories in ensuring product related materials and activities for external audiences comply with these standards
- University degree in medicine or life-science; additional formal education in business or management desirable
- Extensive pharmaceutical industry/CRO experience including management of staff and global projects
- Demonstrated track record of successful delivery of global development projects including clinical trial programs in all phases across multiple countries and regions
- Demonstrated track record in delivering a new capability or driving a change effort
- Proven ability to translate business strategy into action plans
- Extensive knowledge of global R&D, Medical and Global Commercial ways of working
- Knowledge of AZ's key competitors, medical evidence delivery strategies and can compare with AZ strategy
- Ability to interact externally with key customers
- Persuasive communicator in English with a proven ability to work collaboratively in a multi-cultural environment
- Experience, leading, promoting, motivating and empowering others to accomplish individual, team and organisational objectives
- Ability to influence strategically and persuade tactfully, to obtain desired outcomes while maintaining effective, positive organisational relationships
- A track record of building and maintaining a deep continued connection to medical practice/healthcare delivery
- Collaborative/matrix management skills with a focus on leading diverse groups (e.g., cultural, geographical, functional) to achieve excellent results in shared goals
- Strong communication skills with the ability to distil complexity down to what matters to our stakeholders
- Strong Financial/Budget Management and Project Management skills
- Strong business acumen
- Experience of payer and regulatory interactions
- Cultivates an extensive external network of delivery experts
- Comprehensive understanding of Patient care pathways, Quality improvement, PROs & Personalized medicine approaches
- Experience in Evidence generation planning and clinical trial design
At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change, we seize it and make it happen, because any opportunity no matter how small, can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing medicines is about being entrepreneurial - finding those moments and recognizing their potential. Join us on our journey of building a new kind of organization to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we’re opening new ways to work, pioneering cutting edge methods and bringing unexpected teams together. Interested? Come and join our journey.
Are you already imagining yourself joining our team? Good, because we can’t wait to hear from you.
Where can I find out more?
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
AstraZeneca has taken critical steps to protecting colleagues, loved ones, and patients from COVID-19 and its variants. COVID-19 vaccination is required for all US employees, and weekly PCR COVID-19 testing is required for those who are unvaccinated or have an approved accommodation.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.