Oncology Medical Affairs, Medical Head - Gynecology / DDR
In Oncology Medical Affairs at ASTRA ZENECA, we change the practice of medicine and improve the patient experience by generating and communicating compelling medical evidence. We translate the wealth of medical and scientific expertise to ensure the data we produce helps physicians to better treat patients at every point in the journey. Come and be part of a talented, cross-functional team working together to improve lives and make the biggest possible impact for patients, science, and society.
The Oncology Medical Head, Gynecology/DDR, will lead a team of Medical Professionals who are responsible for developing and delivering the integrated Medical Affairs Plan (iMAP) and will have full accountability for directing and supporting the medical team to assure operational effectiveness and efficiencies through a continuous improvement approach. You will work in a matrix environment with other medical network colleagues including Medical Excellence, Medical Evidence & Generation, and Global Franchises. You are accountable for the strategic direction of the Gynecology/DDR disease areas within the US Oncology Medical Affairs Franchise. As the Head of this therapeutic focus you will be responsible for leading the above indication strategies and initiatives, this role, reporting directly to the Franchise Head will also be a key member of a focused strategic leadership team driving medical excellence across the whole Franchise.
- Accountable for the disease area medical strategy and oversee creation and delivery of the medical plan, within a particular indication
- Develops the iMAP for each assigned brand ensuring that specific annual objectives and milestones are set to enable the achievement of the longer-term medical strategy
- Accountable for developing, receiving approval, and overall delivery of appropriate budget and resource requirements to support medical needs for the indication
- Builds and leverages relationships with external customers to ensure robust physician and patient insights are built into brand or franchise plans to drive successful product launches, also initiates and develops relationships with internal and external stakeholders to enhance the scientific and clinical understanding of brands
- Will act as medical lead, collaborating with both Commercial and R&D development teams in the labeling negotiations for product approval
- Represent US Onology Medical Affairs on Gynecology/DDR Global Medical Teams (GMT), incorporating US healthcare system perspectives and personal expertise into both the Global and US Medical Affairs strategy and operational plans
- As part of the GMT is accountable for the Medical Affairs life cycle management of the indication and other externally sponsored research
- Leads development of the External Scientific Research (ESR) strategy for the assigned late-stage development ensuring alignment with the Franchise Head on US Oncology Medical Affairs funding for the approved studies
- Partners with Global Medical Information Team to identify content needs for Medical Information, provide access to relevant data, and obtain resources to create and maintain the medical information content required for the US market
- Is accountable, working with the Franchise head, to identify critical issues for the brand within indication or issues that may affect the overall franchise, developing proactive communication and remedial plans
- Master’s degree in a scientific discipline (MS in Biology, Biochemistry, Chemistry, Nursing, etc.)
- 6+ years US Oncology, Gynecology/DDR experience (academic research, clinical or pharma/biotech setting), 4+ years experience in a strategy-setting role
- Extensive experience of Medical Affairs function within a pharmaceutical industry
- Experience working at the medical marketing interface
- Experience in Evidence generation planning and clinical trial design
- A documented track record of building and maintaining a deep continued connection to medical practice/healthcare delivery
- Collaborative/matrix management skills with a focus on leading diverse groups (e.g., cultural, geographical, functional) to achieve excellent results in shared goals
- Strong communication skills with the ability to distill complexity down to what matters to our stakeholders
- Strong Financial/Budget Management and Project Management skills
- Strong business acumen
- Doctorate degree (MD or equivalent) with Oncology specialization or Ph. D in Sciences
- Extensive knowledge of the latest technical, regulatory, policy, and patient-centric developments
- Experience delivering country medical affairs plans
- Board Certification, experience/certification in oncology
- Experience developing and/or launching a new pharmaceutical product
- Experience in managing medical teams
- Global experience within the pharmaceutical industry
- Working knowledge of FDA requirements
- Experience working in US market
Next Steps – Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.