Oncology Medical Affairs - Medical Director - Breast Cancer
Fast-paced and ever-changing, it takes agility and responsiveness to stay committed in our pursuit of excellence. We work with focus and a sense of urgency to tackle the unanswered questions – innovating, challenging accepted norms, quick decision-making, and taking smart risks. A place of trust, it’s an opportunity to take accountability, be brave, speak up, step up and disrupt to change the game for Oncology, now and in the future.
The Medical Lead – Breast Cancer in US Medical Affairs is a MD/PhD/PharmD who has a history of clinical or pharmaceutical industry experience in the Oncology/rare disease therapeutic area. The ideal candidate should have significant experience in Oncology/rare disease and would thrive on proactively engaging internal and external leaders and will serve as a medical expert for their compound(s) and disease area. They will also have strong commercial aptitude and/or experience in product launch, including proven ability to translate and appropriately align commercial and scientific goals and objectives.
You will develop peer relationships with external scientific experts in Oncology/rare disease therapeutic area. The incumbent is responsible for the development, alignment, and execution of the organization's strategy and objectives across Medical Affairs’ functional areas while working closely with internal stakeholders.
This Individual is also accountable for leading and managing Medical Affairs resources and budget in collaboration with commercial and global functional teams.
- The Medical Lead is responsible to lead Medical Affairs activities in breast cancer for the ADC Franchise and provides medical leadership to the Core Medical Team (CMT).
- Contribute to the development of integrated medical plans that include tactics to support key strategic imperatives for the disease area/brand.
- Accountable for the alignment and execution of all activities of the integrated Medical affairs plan, launch plans, and budgets
- Collaborate with relevant business partners to ensure alignment of medically appropriate brand strategy, planning, and execution
- Accountable for the medical accuracy and fair balance of medical information in promotional material and learning materials for both internal and external use
- Collaborate with global to ensure that the Medical Evidence generation strategy is aligned with business and Medical Affairs’ objectives.
- Interact with leaders of groups identified as strategic partners, including advocacy, payer, and provider groups.
- Interact with leaders in the therapy area (external experts, Academic Institutions, and Prof Societies).
- Play an integral role in the planning and participation of national and regional medical advisory boards and speaker training
- Collaborate with global to ensure that the medical Externally Sponsored Scientific Research program is aligned with strategy and executed appropriately in the US.
- Provide medical input into safety profile of the product in collaboration with Patient Safety (PS) physicians
- Collaborate with the Medical Science Liaisons and work closely with National Clinical Account Managers to appropriately support key accounts.
- Provide medical leadership on the design and execution of HEOR studies, outcomes surveys, etc. in close collaboration with Clinical Value Team (CVT)
- Work closely with the Global Medical Affairs Leader (GMAL) to ensure alignment of US and Global strategies
- A Doctorate degree in Medicine (MD, D.O), PhD or PharmD degrees or equivalent will be considered with relevant experience.
- Experience in other relevant disease areas of interest through clinical experience, biopharmaceutical experience or education may be considered
- 5+ years or more of related work experience in industry, clinical or research institution, preferably in oncology, rare disease, cancer, pediatric or related experiences
- Experience in supporting brands or disease area levels in-country, regional or global organizations is preferred
- Strong business acumen, including working knowledge of changing U.S. payer and provider landscape.
- Proven ability to interact productively with both commercial and scientific / medical colleagues.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in cross-functional teams.
- Ability to travel nationally and internationally. Travel will be up to ~30% of time.
- 7+ years of Pharmaceutical Industry experience
- Experience in medical affairs particularly oncology/rare disease
- Knowledge of relevant Professional Societies and Scientific Medical Experts.
- Experience with pharmaceutical drug development and Medical/Scientific Affairs
Our Gaithersburg, Maryland facility crafts life-changing medicines for people around the world. This campus employs more than 3,500 specialists in our field and is only a short drive from Washington, DC. This modern and vibrant scientific campus is the home of R&D and Oncology in the US. Here, we play host to some of the most ground-breaking technology and lab spaces, all designed to encourage collaboration and cross-functional science. We believe employees benefit from being challenged and inspired at work. We are dedicated to fostering a culture of inclusion and collaboration.
The Gaithersburg site offers various amenities to help boost efficiency and help keep our employees happy and healthy. This includes a fitness center, employee healthcare clinic, electric vehicle charging stations, dry cleaning, a full-service cafeteria, state-of-the-art on-campus Daycare facility, and copy center. This is where you’ll find newly-designed, activity-based workspaces to suit a variety of working styles while strengthening collaboration between teams.
Where can I find out more?
- Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
- Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
- Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.