Medical Head, US Medical Affairs Oncology DDR/Women’s Gyn
Do you have expertise in, and passion for Medical Affairs in Oncology? Would you like to apply your expertise to impact the Medical Head, DDR/Women's Gyn US Medical Affairs role in a company that follows the science and turns ideas into life changing medicines? Then AstraZeneca might be the one for you!
At AstraZeneca, we put patients first and strive to meet their unmet needs worldwide. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. If you are swift to action, confident to lead, willing to collaborate, and curious about what science can do, then you’re our kind of person.
AstraZeneca’s vision in Oncology is to help patients by redefining the cancer-treatment paradigm, with the aim of bringing six new cancer medicines to patients between 2013 and 2020. A broad pipeline of next-generation medicines is focused principally on four disease areas - breast, ovarian, lung and hematological cancers. As well as other tumor types, these are being targeted through five key platforms - immunotherapy, the genetic drivers of cancer and resistance, DNA damage repair, HER2 and antibody drug conjugates, underpinned by personalized healthcare and biomarker technologies.
The Medical Head, DDR/Women’s Gyn is a member of the Women’s Gyn Franchise and leads Women’s Gyn Core Medical Team. The position is a Senior Director position. The Medical Head is knowledgeable of the actions of regulatory bodies, FDA and has experience in clinical trials. An ideal candidate should have significant experience in oncology and would thrive on proactively engaging internal and external leaders. S/he is accountable for the development and execution of the US Women’s Gyn Medical Plans, under the leadership of the franchise head, and leadership of the Women’s Gyn Core Medical Team. The ideal Medical Head would have a network of Oncology ESEs. As a member of the Global Medical Team, the Medical Head represents the US on the GMT for life cycle management, and other externally sponsored research.
- Lead Women’s Gyn Core Medical Teams (CMT)
- Accountable for the brand medical strategy and creation and delivery of brand medical plan, within a particular indication, and under direction of the Franchise Head
- Accountable for ensuring delivery of appropriate budget and resource requirements to support medical needs for the indication.
- Lead medical director(s) to help deliver U.S.-based evidence activities, including Clinical Trials, Real World Evidence Studies, Investigator Initiated and Sponsored Research, and Publications
- Manage and develop direct reports (brand Medical Director(s), and Director(s) of Medical Alignment.
- Create an atmosphere of clear accountabilities.
- Ensure compliance with all AZ corporate policies
- As part of Medical Plan, ensure comprehensive engagement plan with customers and key stakeholders, e.g., Managed Care Organizations, ESEs, Key Institutions and Hospital Systems, Professional Societies and cooperative networks
- Develop and maintain relationships with key external and internal customers.
- Participating in and collaborating with both commercial and development in the labeling negotiations for a product approval
Launch Experience: Experience developing and/or launching a new pharmaceutical product
Global Interactions: Represent US Medical Affairs on Women’s Gyn Global Medical Teams, incorporating US healthcare system perspectives and personal expertise into both the Global and US Medical Affairs strategy and operational plans.
The US Medical Affairs team is an integral part of the overall global strategy. The Medical Head sits on the GMT and has a role to inform the GMT, and work with the franchise head, to identify critical issues for the brand within indication or that may affect the overall franchise. The US Medical Head will be working in a collaborative fashion with the Global Medical Affairs team to deliver both the strategy and overall operational plan for the US.
- Advanced scientific degree
- Minimum 5 years in pharmaceutical/medical industry
- Strong leadership skills
- Proven teamwork and collaboration skills
- Board Certification, experience/certification in oncology/hematology
- Experience developing and/or launching a new pharmaceutical product
- Broad cross-functional pharmaceutical and cross-functional general management experience
- Strong scientific background; knowledge and experience in respiratory disease
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in a strategy-setting role within Medical Affairs
- Global experience within the pharmaceutical industry
- Working knowledge of FDA requirements
- Experience working in US market
Essential Skillsand Competencies:
- Demonstrates strong leadership skills
- Understands drug development of pharmaceutical products
- Comprehensive understanding of pharmaceutical product planning, regulatory environment, marketing and promotion
- Comprehensive understanding of the U.S. healthcare environment
- Experience in a global organization
- History of mentoring/development of others
- Highly developed verbal and written communication skills
- Shows initiative and innovation
- Strategic thinking
- Strong organization and time management skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong business acumen, including working knowledge of changing U.S. payer and provider landscape, and RWE
- Proven ability to interact productively with both commercial and scientific colleagues
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in cross functional teams
- Ability to travel nationally and internationally. Travel will be approximately 20-30% of time
At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change, we seize it and make it happen, because any opportunity no matter how small, can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing medicines is about being entrepreneurial - finding those moments and recognizing their potential. Join us on our journey of building a new kind of organization to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we’re opening new ways to work, pioneering cutting edge methods and bringing unexpected teams together. Interested? Come and join our journey.
Are you already imagining yourself joining our team? Good, because we can’t wait to hear from you.
Where can I find out more?
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.