Medical Head, ACT Program
At AstraZeneca (AZ) we work together across global boundaries to make an impact and find answers to challenges. We do this with the upmost integrity even in the most difficult situations because we are committed to doing the right thing. We continuously forge partnerships that help pursue world-class medicines in new ways, combining our people's exceptional skills with those of people from all over the globe.
Medical Affairs ensures the best patient outcomes by providing healthcare decision-makers around the world with the evidence and educational programs they need from a disease state as well as AZ therapy perspective. Medical Affairs aims to lead AZ in achieving scientific leadership, being a great place to work, and keeping patients at the core of everything we do.
In order to accomplish our goals and enable the best patient outcomes, we look for AZ medical network leaders to have five core capabilities and to act as role models for our AZ values. These capabilities include:
- Track record of building and maintaining a deep and continued connection to medical practice and healthcare delivery
- Collaborative/matrix management skills with a focus on leading diverse groups (e.g., cultural, geographical, functional) to achieve excellent results in shared goals
- Well-developed communication and influencing skills with the ability to distil complexity down to what matters to our stakeholders
- Strong financial/budget and project management skills
- Business acumen
The ACT (Accelerate Change Together) program, designed to bring together global, regional and country experts, internally and externally, is a multi-faceted, non-promotional, above brand program to advance clinical practice and fundamentally improve the quality of care for patients. Reporting directly to the Therapeutic Area Medical VP (TAVP) of Cardiovascular Renal Metabolism (CVRM), the Medical Head ACT Program will be responsible for delivering a world-class program of new and innovative medical initiatives to be implemented globally and via AZ marketing companies. It is a new and exciting role, with the potential to fundamentally change the approach to treatment of the CVRM patient.
Roles and Responsibilities:
The Medical Head ACT Program will play a pivotal leading role in the creation and execution of the ACT strategy, working across disease states, brands, and functions at AZ, leading the program globally from a Medical Affairs perspective. The Medical Head ACT Program will also be responsible for delivering world class medical initiatives, that include (but are not limited to) medical education, evidence generation, and digital solutions, all with the intent of improving patient care and outcomes. The immediate priority is ACT on Heart Failure (HF). To follow quickly thereafter is ACT on Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD).
In addition, the Medical Head ACT Program is responsible for the following:
- Actively engage, support and guide all participating AZ Marketing Companies, ensuring global alignment with ACT objectives
- Chair ACT internal and external Steering Committees and advisory board meetings, as required
- Deliver a comprehensive publication strategy for ACT
- Define, manage and report Global/country KPIs for ACT
- Work cross-functionally, internally and externally (e.g. with KEEs, HCPs, patient groups, healthcare policy makers), to create a strong, self-sustainable networks within the cardio-renal-metabolic community
- Drive AZ leadership through collaborative relationships with external organizations and professional bodies
- Manage a global budget to within +/- 2%
- Lead, motivate and inspire a team of high performing individuals to deliver their best work
- MD/PhD/PharmD, with in-depth knowledge of Medical Affairs, and leadership role(s) at the Marketing Company/Region/Global Medical Director Level
- Strong working relationships with Global leaders internally and externally
- Demonstrated success in building and executing multi-year strategic plans
- Experienced team leader with a track record of delivering results in a complex matrix environment
- Demonstrated track record of delivering new initiatives, breaking new ground, and leading large scale impactful initiatives
- Proven ability to create bespoke strategy and mobilize an organization to execute
- Strong executive presence
- Exceptional ability to work collaboratively, internally and externally, across geographies, cultures, roles, and hierarchies – enterprise leadership mindset
- Persuasive oral and written communication skills, including the ability to develop and deliver executive presentations
- Understanding of the complex and evolving Medical Affairs space with insights about trends, opportunities, and risks
- Ability to fluidly flex between high level strategy and detailed tactics, as required
- Strong analytical mind-set, with ability to quickly assess large amounts of data and distil into key messages and actions
- Integrity and high ethical standards
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.