Medical Director, Hematology
Join our globally-renowned Oncology area, at AstraZeneca, which is leading the rapid business growth of our enterprise and ever-evolving industry. It’s an exciting time to join as we work towards our big ambitions with entrepreneurial thinking and innovation. It’s up to us to find solutions and act fast to make them happen. As a Medical Director, Hematology in Gaithersburg, MD, you'll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients' lives.
Brave thinkers, bold innovators, we are encouraged and empowered to try out new and innovative ideas. We have the courage to express our ideas freely, knowing it’s a safe space to learn from failures
Main Duties and Responsibilities
As the Medical Director, Hematology you will be a member of the US Oncology Core Medical Teams, with responsibility for the development and execution of the US Medical Plans in support of the US Medical Affairs Franchise and Franchise Medical Head. You will be accountable for ensuring planning, alignment, and execution of US Medical Affairs activities in support of the medical objectives.
You will be accountable for driving development and execution of the Medical Affairs components of the US Medical Plan, defining Medical Affairs segmentation, focus, and deployment. You will be responsible for the development and appropriate delivery of scientific messaging and education, support of scientific and educational programs aligned with the Medical Plan, delivery of medical and scientific insight back to the Oncology Brand Teams and identification and engagement of key clinical investigators for clinical trials and research partnerships. Additionally, you will represent the key interface between the needs of the US external scientific experts and other clinical decision-makers and Brand Teams through interactions with all Medical Affairs functions and you will be a member of the Brand Leadership Team.
- Advanced degrees in a science-related field, such as Pharmacology, Pharmacy, Medicine, or equivalent
- >3 years managing programs/clinical programs in a team environment
- Strong knowledge of medical strategy, clinical development, and understanding of field medical science liaison functions
- Ability to manage a diverse group of responsibilities
- Ability to work effectively in a cross-functional team environment
- Leadership abilities
- Expert technical depth in disease area – Hematology/Oncology
- Strategic influencing skills
- Highly developed written and verbal communication skills
- Well-developed initiative ability
- Excellent project management skills
- Strong organization and time management skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Doctorate in Pharmacology, Pharmacy, Medicine, or equivalent
- Hematology experience
- Minimum 5 years of experience in a strategy-setting role within Medical Affairs
- Global experience within the pharmaceutical industry
- Working knowledge of FDA requirements
- Excellent computer skills (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Knowledge of information/technology systems
Next Steps – Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca has taken critical steps to protect colleagues, loved ones, and patients from COVID-19 and its variants. COVID-19 vaccination is required for all US employees, and weekly PCR COVID-19 testing is required for those who are unvaccinated or have an approved accommodation.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.