Executive Director, TA Strategy, Oncology R&D
Executive Director, TA Strategy
Location: Gaithersburg or Waltham, US or Londo UK
Do you have astrategic mindset, analytical rigor, and people leadership that enables you to deliver positive outcomes on high-impact and complex strategic topics? Are you looking to demonstrate those skills to help lead the team that shapes our future oncology strategy and portfolio?
AstraZeneca is a global, science-led biopharmaceutical company and our innovative medicines are used by millions of patients worldwide. This is the place to make an impact. Here we ensure everyone can reach their full potential, perform at their best and make a valued contribution to the enterprise.
Within Oncology R&D, we are empowered to be bold, take calculated risks and use our intelligence and courage to always follow the science. This approach has enabled us to successfully deliver 7 new Oncology medicines in as many years.
It is the breadth and strength of our innovative pipeline that offers both security and stability. And with the goal to deliver 6 new molecular entities by 2025, it’s up to each of us to keep pushing our industry-leading Oncology pipeline forward and build the future.
Oncology Strategy, Business Development & Alliances Team
Our team sits at the center of Oncology R&D – driving our R&D strategy and addressing the unmet needs and future focus of AstraZeneca’s oncology pipeline. We operate both internally and externally, leading collaboration and acquisition opportunities as well as partnering closely with external alliances.
In this role, you will report to VP, Oncology R&D Strategy, Business Development & Alliances and be accountable for the development and delivery of Therapeutic Area Strategy for a defined set of tumours based on our latest priorities.
What you will do:
Deliver end-to-endTumor Strategy, including:
Clear understanding and prioritization of current and future unmet needs
Tumor-level strategic vision for both near-term and long-term
Integrated clinical strategy across all assets within the same tumor
Competitive early pipeline / long-term portfolio
Above-asset initiatives (e.g., Translational Medicine, Precision Medicine, Data Sciences)
How you will operate
Lead theTumor Council to define priorities and deliverables of Tumor Strategy
Develop clear strategic framework /structure to guide teams through complex strategies
Lead and collaborate with cross-functional teams to develop tumor strategy content (e.g., GPTs, Clinical Development, Discovery, BD, Lifecycle and Pipeline, Competitive Intelligence)
Provide strategic counselling to Global Clinical Strategy Head (GCSH) and other senior leaders
- BA/BS and 10 years of experience in life sciences or consulting firm with focus in life science programs
- OR MS/MBA and 8+ years of experience in life sciences or consulting firm with focus in life science programs
- OR PhD or MD and 5+ of experience in life sciences or consulting firm with focus in life science programs
- Ability to interact and communicate effectively with senior executive teams.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and influence experienced professionals.
- Ability to think critically, creatively and to anticipate and solve problems.
- Ability to navigate and be successful in a fast-paced, highly-matrixed work environment
- Strong analytical and communication skills
- Effective interpersonal and relationship management skills with consultative approach and ability to interact and build trust
- Operational effectiveness, highly organized process with follow through
- Strong initiative to understand our core business goals and establish processes or programs to set direction, generate alignment and push forward
- Financial background and understanding of forecasts, budgets, financial activities and tools
- Resourceful, motivated, influential and proactive; able to prioritize in a fast-growing organization
- Experience in strategic planning processes and tools
- Scientific background
- Understanding of the pharmaceutical business (including R&D)
- Experience in translating business needs into a coordinated plan from cross-functional senior leadership team
- Ability to develop creative and simple solutions to complex problems
At AstraZeneca, we 're dedicated to being a Great Place to Work. Where you are empowered to push the boundaries of science and unleash your entrepreneurial spirit. There’s no better place to make a difference to medicine, patients and society. An inclusive culture that champions diversity and collaboration, and always committed to lifelong learning, growth and development. We’re on an exciting journey to pioneer the future of healthcare.
So, what’s next?
Are you ready to bring new ideas and fresh thinking to the table? Brilliant! We have one seat available, and we hope it’s yours.
Where can I find out more?
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements.
AstraZeneca requires all US employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 but will consider requests for reasonable accommodations as required by applicable law.