Director Translational Medicine Strategy V&I
At AstraZeneca you’ll have the opportunity to make a difference in people’s lives every day. As one of the world’s premier biotechnology companies, our mission is focused on delivering life-changing products that advance world health and help fight and cure disease. The Vaccines and Immune Therapies (V&I unit) has been built to optimize AstraZeneca’s portfolio of vaccines and antibodies for infectious diseases (e.g. COVID, RSV, Influenza), as well as drive discovery. As a member of the Translational Medicine group in Vaccines & Immune Therapies in Gaithersburg, MD, you will play a key role in channeling our capabilities to develop a positive impact on changing patients’ lives.
This is a meaningful, and visible role requiring an individual with outstanding technical, communication and leadership skills, and the ability to build positive relationships with partners in Clinical, Research, Regulatory and other groups within AstraZeneca. You will work effectively with external academic collaborators to support the development of novel antibodies and vaccines in AstraZeneca’s Vaccines & Immune Therapies portfolio. The successful candidate is encouraged to work within a fast-paced clinical and product development organization and contribute to publications in world-class scientific, technical, or medical journals, as well as author sections of regulatory documents, to contribute to AstraZeneca’s scientific leadership.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Develop and implement biomarker testing strategies as part of clinical trials, with contributions to the design of clinical study protocols and go/no-go decision-making for molecules in the V&I portfolio. Effectively lead in a cross-functional matrix environment, relying on outstanding organizational skills with attention to detail and outstanding communication skills.
- Work collaboratively to ensure scientific excellence and robust delivery of translational endpoints for multiple clinical-ready programs.
- Work cross-functionally to generate, analyze, and integrate pharmacodynamic, immunogenicity, serology, neutralizing antibody, and viral/bacterial sequencing data from clinical trials and external collaborations.
- Coordinate global surveillance studies with academic and non-government organizations; design and implement studies to monitor resistance.
- Provide scientific and technical support for regulatory communications and filings.
- Knowledge of good clinical practices (GCPs) and good laboratory practices (GLPs); familiar with ICH guidelines for assay validation and implementation.
Sophisticated team and program management abilities. Ability to work on multiple programs. Strong scientific and strategic leader who can work within a fast-paced organization.
Reports to Head of Translational Medicine. Individual must be able to work independently.
- PhD in Virology, Bacteriology, Immunology, Molecular Biology, Microbiology, Cell Biology, or other relevant scientific fields
- A minimum of 7-10 years post-PhD experience, preferably in a biopharma/biotech setting.
- A record of innovative contributions to translational research, as evidenced by a strong publication record, inventorship on patents/filings and presentations at major conferences.
- Demonstrated ability to influence and build positive relationships with highly regarded key external experts.
- Advanced problem solving, risk management, and influencing skills.
- Successful strategic planning and organizational skills working in a matrix environment; consistent history empowering and developing others.
At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change, we seize it and make it happen, because any opportunity no matter how small, can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing medicines is about being entrepreneurial - finding those moments and recognizing their potential. Join us on our journey of building a new kind of organization to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we’re opening new ways to work, pioneering groundbreaking methods and bringing unexpected teams together. Interested? Come and join our journey.
So, what’s next! Apply today!
Are you ready to bring new insights and fresh thinking to the table? Brilliant! We have one seat available, and we hope it’s yours.
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
Where can I find out more?
Check out our landing page for more information on our BPD group https://careers.astrazeneca.com/bpd
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements.
AstraZeneca requires all US employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 but will consider requests for reasonable accommodations as required by applicable law.