Director - Safety, Health & Environment - Operations
At AstraZeneca we work together across global boundaries to make an impact and find answers to challenges. We do this with the upmost integrity even in the most difficult situations because we are committed to doing the right thing. We continuously forge partnerships that help pursue world-class medicines in new ways, combining our people’s exceptional skills with those of people from all over the globe.
Our Gaithersburg, Maryland facility creates life-changing medicines for people around the world! The modern, vibrant scientific campus employs more than 3000 experts in our field, and it is only a short drive from Washington, DC. It is filled with groundbreaking technology. Our labs spaces were crafted to facilitate collaboration, interaction and cross functional science. We believe employees benefit from being challenged and encouraged at work. We offer everything from bean bag rooms for creative brain storming, game rooms and Zen garden to treadmill stations and regular campus happy hours. The Gaithersburg site offer a variety of amenities to help boost efficiency and help keep our employees happy and healthy. This includes a fitness center, employee healthcare clinic, electric vehicle charging stations, dry cleaning, full-service cafeteria and copy center.
As the Director - Safety, Health & Environment - Americas, you will be the SHE Process Champion for Americas and US/NMF Biologics Operations Sites with the mission to strengthen safety performance, enhance employee health and well-being, reduce environmental impact, and assure compliance with SHE requirements to enable delivery of AZ Operations’ strategy.
- Builds, defines and implements long term SHE strategies to serve Americas/Biologics business objectives involving a diverse service delivery portfolio and a sophisticated geographical mix
- Designs and develops effective Safety, Health and Environment management processes that align Biologics Leadership Team (BLT) objectives with the demands and requirements of internal customers
- Accountable at a global functional level for both setting Safety, Health and Environment (SHE) policy and plans and the overall SHE performance of the Americas/Biologics network.
- Provides input into strategic direction of the SHE organization through global leadership teams
- Defines and delivers the Strategy for the function in alignment with over-arching strategic framework of the area
- Ensures regional SHE direction and policies are in line with wider Global AZ SHE initiatives
- Leads and significantly influences external thinking in own specialist area and develops innovative approaches by working with recognized bodies and organizations
- Leads compliance reporting process and monitors team and functional performance to identify and resolve deficiencies, areas of concern and other non-compliances
- Responsible for facilitating the Americas/Biologics SHE Risk Management program which includes interfacing with global risk register for logging risk, developing risk mitigation strategies, delivering risk management training, and running business continuity simulations.
- Position will oversee three direct reports with indirect reporting relationships to SHE leads at eleven (11) Americas, US Biologics and Nijmegen, Netherlands Operations sites.
- Collaborating with Global Sustainability, Regional Lean Leads, Regional Project Management Offices, Regional Risk Management Leads, Regional Capability Leads, and Regional Quality Leads to leverage expertise and improve efficiencies through a Network-of-Networks way of working.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Safety, Health or Environment or related technical field
- 12+ prior SHE leadership
- Proven leadership experience, developing a team of senior direct reports with various areas of expertise
- Significant track record in change management
- Ability to influence senior stakeholders including those external to AZ.
- Ability to lead and drive cultural change through process and capability improvement.
- Successful financial management background
- Experience leading a team across 2 or more countries
- Existing strong networks internally and externally to AZ with particular focus on SHE.
- Risk Management expertise and knowledge
Next Steps – Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.