What you'll do
As a Sales Representative with us, you’ll sell life-changing medicines within one of four therapeutic areas: Oncology, Respiratory, Cardiovascular, Renal and Metabolic, and other diseases. Using your exceptional selling skills and personable attitude, you’ll build strong and strategic partnerships with healthcare providers across your territory – from clinicians and pharmacists to nurses and consultants.
The part you play in our business will be challenging, yet rewarding, requiring you to use your resilient, collaborative and diplomatic skillsets to make connections. The majority of your work will be field based, and will require you to be highly-organised, planning your monthly schedule, attending meetings and calls, as well as writing up reports.
As one of the world’s leading BioPharmaceutical companies, we work to impact lives across R&D through to commercialisation. As a member of our team, you’ll enjoy the freedom to embrace your entrepreneurial spirit, sharing our medicines with customers in your territory and beyond.
Offering a clear development programme, we’ll train you to better understand and sell your product portfolio. And, we’ll enable you to meet your own development goals too. As well as structured support, you’ll benefit from the support of those around you – leaders and peers alike. Whether that’s receiving help from the marketing team or gaining compliance advice, we’ll be there to guide you. This is about doing the right thing, making an impact in the right way. Together.
No matter your experience or background, if you’ve got the passion and drive to progress, we’ll help you to succeed. These are some of the skills and capabilities we look for to ensure that success:
As this is a mobile role, you’ll be doing a lot of your work on your own. Being independent will be an important skill when delivering on targets. This means staying resilient and motivated in order to work successfully and meet your territory objectives.
You’ll be connecting with a range of healthcare professionals with different product needs. Interpersonal and relationship-building skills are vital to your collaborative role. And, where possible, you’ll use those skills to proactively identify new business opportunities.
Being on the road, you’ll be able to manage your own time, working around your various tasks. For this, you’ll need to be flexible in the way you work with the ability to adapt to and take advantage of opportunities as they arise.
This is a heavily-regulated industry, so working within it means taking responsibility and being particularly observant when selling our products. This means managing your work and territory with diplomacy and in a way that is compliant.
At AstraZeneca we turn ideas into life changing medicines. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. We’re focused on the potential of science to address the unmet needs of patients around the world. We commit to those areas where we think we can really change the course of medicine and bring big new ideas to life. As a Diagnostics Trainer, Oncology Training & Development in Gaithersburg, MD, you’ll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients’ lives. North American Commercial is the ‘face’ of AstraZeneca and MedImmune to our many healthcare clients. They represent many of the most well recognized and respected products in the industry and build strong relationships with healthcare professionals.
This position is responsible for the oversight, strategic direction, and leadership of the field facing diagnostics curriculum to meet the needs across the US market. The incumbent will collaborate closely with his/her counterparts across each OTD Division Lead to ensure an alignment of business operations within the therapeutic areas. Through the efforts of his/her team members, the Diagnostics Trainer is expected to develop a consistent service delivery brand within OTD that is evident in all learning and development assets created. The incumbent will work with sales, brand, clinical and other cross functional leaders to create training and development strategies and ensure alignment with business unit priorities to program objectives. This position is also responsible for effective communication with other OTD team members to identify areas of collaboration across different training areas or in the global markets to create savings and avoid duplication of efforts. Success factors for this role include effective leveraging of resources and outcomes for learners and stakeholders than can be translated into tangible business successes.
- Works directly with internal stakeholders, training managers, and US leads to understand current and future learning needs of the business. Ensures the necessary resources and support are available to enable the OTD team to design, develop, and prioritize high-quality impactful learning innovations and experiences to support companion diagnostics and testing and plans for priority emerging and growth products within AZ oncology therapeutic areas.
- Establishes strong cross-functional relationships across the product, marketing, and existing internal training teams to develop a scalable Oncology Diagnostic Manager training program that develops and executes on the necessary curriculum/programs to support US Diagnostics KPIs (i.e. new hire, meeting workshops, etc.).
- Leads the identification, deployment, and promotion of the most effective and innovative practices across the department; including launches.
- Leads teams to evaluate program metrics as a means of determining training impact in areas for growth and of success.
- As appropriate, oversees and manages the training vendor relationships during the creation and build of all training materials and makes recommendations to content developers to continually improve the content and design; ensures all curricula are properly maintained and approved per AZ policies and guidelines.
- Supports team members to achieve a customer-focused and performance-driven culture that supports Innovation, simplification, measurement, and excellence in learning development and delivery.
- Creates synergies across the teams to create cost savings collaboration and to avoid duplication of efforts.
- Anticipates trends in the Diagnostic space and ensures that the Diagnostic Training program includes current and prepares for future changes for most up to date training of the customer facing teams.
Internal Contacts/Customers Include:
- Oncology Brand TA Leads
- Learning & Development Managers
- Associate Director, Global Diagnostics Training
- Director, Oncology Diagnostic Managers
- Medical Information Managers
- Commercial Brand Leader
- Commercial Learning Staff
- Key Opinion Leaders
- Clinical Decision Makers
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field or equivalent
- 3-5 years of Pharmaceutical, Biotech, Oncology, Consultant Experience required
- Minimum of 3 years of diagnostic market or clinical testing market experience preferred
- Minimum 1 year of a training or training related or key account management role preferred
- MBA or MS/MA in a related field is preferred
- Thorough knowledge of diagnostic testing regulatory environment preferred
Skills & Competencies:
- Strong prioritization and ability to manage a diverse group of responsibilities
- Facilitation skills to deliver training content in a variety of settings; virtual, live, remote, small group, large group (100+)
- Demonstrated competency in medical learning & development
- Consultative and stakeholder negotiation abilities; demonstrated experience identifying internal client needs and making appropriate recommendations for the most effective L&D solutions
- Technical breadth across multiple disease areas; ability to demonstrate aptitude for continued knowledge development
- Demonstrated written and verbal communication skills to author persuasive communications
- Strong project team management skills; with demonstrated ability to focus on effective procurement and planning of resources and establishing viable project milestones and final deadlines
- Working knowledge of information/technology systems that support learning and development initiatives, preferred
Next Steps – Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
Reasons to Join
There are many things I enjoy when working at AstraZeneca, mainly the Speak up culture, the great colleagues that are in my teams, the great products that AstraZeneca provides to our patients and the challenging conversations I have around our medicines.
Working at AstraZeneca has impacted my life in such a positive way. I now have an improved work-life balance through creating my own schedule and time management, I feel a balance that I didn’t have before.
There are a lot of reasons why I enjoy working in AstraZeneca, my colleagues being one of them. My team members and the managers have provided a great deal of guidance in helping me to be more confident in my daily work.
There’s a whole spectrum of perks that come with being a Sales Representative. From taking on the responsibility to enjoying opportunities to progress vertically and laterally. Discover some of our benefits:
We set you up to progress at every stage with structured goals and targets. There are also many routes you can take, from sales team management to product management, and beyond.
The work you do will allow you to take on a lot of responsibility, getting to know your product and owning the way you work – from your schedule and territory, to your strategy and the development of goals.
We reward based on your performance. So, by creating a big impact – both on our commercial growth and your personal development – you’ll be rewarded well.
Our training is of a high quality. From onboarding to on the job training, from learning from peers to product training, discover multiple opportunities to develop.