Data Science Learning Principal Specialist
Data Science Learning Principal Specialist
Gaithersburg (US), Cambridge (UK) or Gothenburg (Sweden)
Salary – Competitive salary and company benefits apply
Would you like to be a part of a Data Science & Artificial Intelligence (DS&AI) group who has direct strategic impact on drug development, playing a key role in getting medicines to patients?
At AstraZeneca, we are constantly pushing the boundaries of science to deliver life-changing medicines to patients, with a real passion for discovery and a pipeline to show for it. Here, you’ll have the opportunity to make a difference in people’s lives every single day.
The Data Science & AI (DS&AI) team collaborates across R&D to drive innovation through data science and AI. Together we aim to:
- Improve our understanding of disease and uncovering new targets
- Transform R&D processes
- Speed the design and delivery of new medicines for patients
The newly formed R&D Data Science Learning & Development function will uplift the level of data science capabilities across R&D, ensuring that all can benefit from a centralized approach to these critical areas. The team will focus on both senior leaders and project teams to ensure strong partnership, capability development for solid data science foundations, DS&AI learning opportunities and extending Data Science communities for knowledge sharing, ideation and social learning.
As part of the R&D Data Science Learning & Development team, the Data Science Learning Principal Specialist will be an integral part of the team ensuring the long-term success of the data science at AstraZeneca. The role holder will work alongside the Data Science Learning Director to develop and deliver a centralized approach to Data Science learning in R&D. Working across R&D and capability functions to design and deliver the optimal education programme for R&D data scientists, to ensure data scientists have the necessary skills to bring impact in project assignments and progress the R&D pipeline.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with the Data Science Learning Director to deliver a holistic education strategy of experiential learning, mentoring and courses
- Survey, catalogue and develop training curricula and learning paths for R&D data scientists
- Support our data science talent with technical, domain and soft-skills learning opportunities to ensure they have the necessary skills to bring impact in project assignments and progress the R&D pipeline.
- Work with external vendors and experts in the field to develop course content and oversee delivery of tailored training, manage schedules and feedback
- Manage a network of R&D trainers in specialist DS&AI skills, and direct their offerings to ensure maximum impact and high-quality standards
- Promote learning offerings across data science communities and monitor impact baselining and re-baselining to show improvement over time
- Ensure the implementation of software tools to deploy education materials, track and monitor uptake across R&D
- Develop deep knowledge of DS&AI functions and portfolio of work, and align with education and awareness opportunities
- Direct the work of colleagues across R&D to realize the objectives of Data Science Learning in R&D
- Keep up with current trends and hot-topics, and evolve education offerings accordingly
- Develop strong connections across R&D and capability functions including IT and ‘spoke’ data science teams
- BSc in a Life Science, Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Expertise in data science methods and application (e.g. data mining, visual analytics, machine learning).
- Life-long-learner with experience of multiple modes of learning and awareness of MOOCs and data science educational offerings
- Excellent communication skills and facilitation skills
- Demonstrated experience in teaching in a commercial or professional environment.
Next Steps – Apply today
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application including a covering letter that outlines your interest in this role on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.