Data & Analytics Engineer (AZ0472)
AstraZeneca is a global biopharmaceutical business that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialization of prescription medicines for some of the world's most serious diseases. Our growth platforms are doing remarkably well, and the impact of our older products decline is starting to reduce. And, with the potential of our pipeline and new medicines, we can be confident in our ability to sustain growth for years to come and make an even bigger difference to patients around the world.
At AstraZeneca, we're proud to have a workplace culture that encourages innovation and teamwork. Our vision of a phenomenal place to work is one in which all our employees are engaged and passionate about a clear shared purpose and a compelling strategy; where they are inspired to perform and develop to their full potential; and where they are supported by the right organization design, culture, technology and processes.
As a Data & Analytics Engineer you will support solution development, provide technical leadership, and take responsibility for delivery. You are a data professional with a broad range of knowledge and experience across data & analytics, with significant depth in at least one technical area. You will work almost exclusively with AWS services. You will join a team that has delivered cloud solutions, such as the development of auto-scaling data integration and analytic platform. Similarly, we have built an automated cloud ETL test harness which integrates with our evolving CI/CD processes. We have an exciting pipeline of work, so you might be developing a data hub processing terabytes of clinical trial data, the world’s largest genomics platform, a federated reporting capability, a new tax analytics platform, or improvements to any of our existing analytics solutions.
You'll be part of a team of engineers who work closely with IT colleagues in UK, US, Sweden, India and Mexico. We have business partners and team members spread globally, so you would need a collaborative delivery approach to be successful. We prefer to use Agile but choose the appropriate approach for the project. You will provide technical mentorship throughout our software development life-cycle, from the initial development of a technical design based on agreed architecture, right through to service.
If you have a real passion for delivering well engineered data and analytics solutions, this is the opportunity you have been waiting for.
Flexible or part-time working could potentially be considered.
- Define effective ways of end-to-end deliver of our data and analytics platform, drive visualization strategy to enable specific insights for better business decisions.
- Direct a team of data and reporting engineers focused on developing groundbreaking visualization and computational capabilities for our big data platform.
- Be hands on within the scrum team on a day-to-day basis, continually inspecting and shaping the backlog in response to the changing business requirements or technical discoveries/POCs.
- Challenge the norm and push the team to forget the easy route and go after the impossible.
- Lead technology processes from concept development to completion of project work.
Desirable technical skills & experience
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience required.
- Experience of cloud techniques and tools (we currently use AWS data & analytics services such as S3, SQS, SNS, Redshift, Postgres, Aurora, MySQL, EMR, HIVE, PIG, Spark),
- Experience of ETL techniques and tools (we currently use Talend for ETL),
- Experience of visualization technologies (we are focused on OBIEE, MicroStrategy, Spotfire, Qlik, Power BI),
- Experience of building scalable high availability analytics solutions,
- Experience of building unit tests, integration tests, system tests and acceptance tests,
- Experience in DevOps, using continuous integration and continuous development (we use Jenkins, Nexus, Git),
- Experience of data analysis – profiling, investigating, interpreting and documenting data structures,
- Familiarity with data modelling techniques and hands on modelling experience (our relational databases are third normal form and star schema),
- Agile practices, especially being a SCRUM Master
Next Steps – Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a phenomenal fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, gender or gender orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.