Associate Scientist/ Scientist/Senior Scientist Early Formulation Sciences/DFDD-BPD
Associate Scientist to Senior Scientist – Early Stage Formulation Sciences/DFDD - BPD:
Do you have a passion for Science? Would you like to apply your expertise to impact a company that follows the science and turns ideas into life changing medicines? Then AstraZeneca might be the one for you!
At AstraZeneca, we put patients first and strive to meet their unmet needs worldwide. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. If you are swift to action, confident to lead, willing to collaborate, and curious about what science can do, then you’re our kind of person.
About AstraZeneca in Gaithersburg, MD:
Our Gaithersburg, Maryland facility creates life-changing medicines for people around the world. This campus employs more than 3,500 experts in our field and is only a short drive from Washington, DC. This modern and vibrant scientific campus is the home of R&D and Oncology in the US. Here, we play host to some of the most cutting-edge technology and lab spaces, all designed to inspire collaboration and cross-functional science. We believe employees benefit from being challenged and inspired at work. We are dedicated to creating a culture of inclusion and collaboration.
The Gaithersburg site offers a variety of amenities to help boost productivity and help keep our employees happy and healthy. This includes a fitness center, employee healthcare clinic, electric vehicle charging stations, dry cleaning, full-service cafeteria and copy center. This is where you’ll find newly-designed, activity-based work spaces to suit a variety of working styles while increasing collaboration between teams.
Summary of the group:
This position is within Early Stage Formulation Sciences responsible for designing and developing formulation and drug product presentation for Phase 1 through pivotal clinical trials.
Main Duties & Responsibilities:
• Work in a state-of-the-art laboratory that is focused on development of formulations and process for therapeutic proteins, antibody drug conjugates, and development of lipid nanoparticles (LNP) for those used in in-vivo expressed biologics. Additional activities will include formulation and fill finish process for therapeutic proteins, antibody drug conjugates, and other novel therapeutic modalities and provide support to research and discovery, clinical and manufacturing teams in moving drugs from candidate selection to commercialization.
• Work on pDNA/RNA/protein/biotherapeutic formulation, characterization and stability testing.
• Work on Antibody Drug conjugate formulation development, characterization and stability testing. Lead various activities in evaluating and advancing the science in this field.
• Perform biophysical characterization and/or analytical assay development in support of modality formulation, stability, and elucidation of degradation mechanisms. Make detailed observations, analyze data, interpret results, maintain documentation, and prepare precise technical reports, summaries, and protocols. Present scientific data to both internal audiences within the company and external scientific community.
• Functional representative on CMC teams and subteams
• Author CMC sections for regulatory filings and development reports.
Education & Experience Requirements:
Senior Scientist - PhD. in Chemical/biochemical engineering, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Pharmaceutical Sciences or related field with a 0- 2 years of relevant experience. MS in Chemical/biochemical engineering, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Pharmaceutical Sciences or related field with a 8+ years of relevant experience. Bachelor’s degree with 10+ years of relevant experience.
Scientist: Education: M.S. or B.S. in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Pharmaceutics, Chemical/biochemical Engineering or related field Experience: BS with 5-6 years or MS with 2-5 years in biopharmaceutical industry/Academic lab
Associate Scientist: Education: M.S. or B.S. in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Pharmaceutics, Chemical/biochemical Engineering or related field Experience: BS with 0-5 years or MS with 0-3 years in biopharmaceutical industry/Academic lab
- Science minded, highly motivated self-starter with drive to succeed, with good communication skills, strong interpersonal skills, demonstrated leadership qualities, and the ability to thrive in an interdisciplinary fast paced environment
- Experience in current approaches for formulation development, biophysical characterization of pDNA, RNA, proteins, protein stability, and analytical method development is required.
- Previous demonstration of creative problem solving and troubleshooting skills.
- Experience handling of High-potency molecules and working in isolator environments including lyophilization and fill/finish activities for compounds such as ADC’s and LNP’s.
- Familiarity with fill finish process technology, aseptic drug product manufacturing process development, and cGMP knowledge is advantageous.
- Ability to work effectively as an individual contributor, and as a team member within team and matrix environments.
- Outstanding organizational and communication skills (written, verbal and presentation)
- Working knowledge of Drug Product dosage forms for biotherapeutics (vial, PFS, liq., lyo, etc)
- Biophysical Characterization techniques include Differential scanning calorimetry & Isothermal Titration calorimetry, Dynamic light scattering, High pressure Liquid Chromatography, UV/Vis spectroscopy, fluorescence spectroscopy, Circular Dichroism spectroscopy, particle characterization.
At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change, we seize it and make it happen, because any opportunity no matter how small, can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing medicines is about being entrepreneurial - finding those moments and recognising their potential. Join us on our journey of building a new kind of organisation to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we’re opening new ways to work, pioneering cutting edge methods and bringing unexpected teams together. Interested? Come and join our journey.
So, what’s next!
Are you ready to bring new ideas and fresh thinking to the table? Brilliant! We have one seat available and we hope it’s yours.
Where can I find out more?
Check out our landing page for more information on our BPD group https://careers.astrazeneca.com/bpd
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.