Associate Scientist II/Scientist I - Drying Technology - BPD
The Associate Scientist II/Scientist I position in Early Stage Formulation Sciences is a laboratory-based position to develop technologies to support formulation and process development activities of therapeutic protein products from pre‐clinical through pivotal clinical trials. The position will involve developing and implementing innovative and modern techniques to characterize formulation and process resulting in appropriate stability profiles.
- Experience and understanding of routinely used analytical techniques (HPLC, UV‐vis spectroscopy, HIAC, MFI, DSC, Rheometer, CD, Fluorescence, FTIR) for formulation development is highly desired.
- Candidate will be involved in lyophilization, spray-drying and freeze‐thaw technology development initiatives that impact the critical quality attributes of the product during early as well as late stage of formulation development.
- Understanding of spray-dried, freeze-dried and freeze-thaw formulation and process development is highly desired.
- Candidate is expected to present the data from formulation as well as technology development activities at internal and external meetings.
Education and Experience Requirements:
BS, MS or PhD in pharmaceutical sciences, biochemistry, biochemical engineering or related field.
Associate Scientist II: Bachelors degree and 8+ years OR Masters degree 5+ years of experience in pharmaceutical industry/academia as appropriate (biotechnology area preferred).
Scientist I: Bachelors degree and 10+ years OR Masters degree 8+ years OR Ph.D and 0+ years of experience in pharmaceutical industry/academia as appropriate (biotechnology area preferred).
Those with degree/experience levels outside of those stated need not apply. Preference will be given to those with experience in spray-drying, freeze-drying and/or freeze‐thaw characterization (mDSC, freeze‐dry microscopy, PLM, FTIR, XRD, SEM, KF) and process development, optimization, scale‐up and technology transfer.
- Complex position involving hands‐on technical work for protein formulation and freeze‐drying technology development.
- Position requires a thorough understanding of scientific method, protein biochemistry, spray-drying and freeze-drying principles and characterization techniques.
- Excellent problem solving and critical thinking skills are also required.
- Candidate will be expected to manage multiple projects simultaneously, appropriately prioritize their work, and work with often‐changing timelines.
Supervision: Expected to work independently with limited supervision. Will be provided with broad general goals and will be expected to plan, propose, execute, analyze, and report results and conclusions of experiments and other projects to supervisor
- Experience with protein/peptide formulation, freeze‐dried formulation characterization and process development are a plus. Additional experience with the above biophysical techniques is highly desired.
- Strong interpersonal skills, along with outstanding verbal and written communication skills are essential *The desire and ability to thrive in an interdisciplinary, fast‐paced team environment is an integral part of this position. Detail oriented, diligent, careful in observation and work
- Ability to mentor junior staff and peers across matrix teams
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.