Associate Scientist I / II - Microbial Sciences
Here at AstraZeneca, you’ll have the opportunity to make a difference in people’s lives every day. As one of the world’s premier biotechnology companies, our mission is centered on delivering life-changing products that advance world health and help fight and cure disease. As an Associate Scientist- Microbial Sciences in Gaithersburg, MD, you’ll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients’ lives.
About AstraZeneca in Gaithersburg, MD
Our Gaithersburg, Maryland facility creates life-changing medicines for people around the world. This campus employs more than 3,500 experts in our field and is only a short drive from Washington, DC. This modern and vibrant scientific campus is the home of R&D and Oncology in the US. Here, we play host to some of the most cutting-edge technology and lab spaces, all designed to inspire collaboration and cross-functional science. We believe employees benefit from being challenged and inspired at work. We are dedicated to creating a culture of inclusion and collaboration.
The Gaithersburg site offers a variety of amenities to help boost productivity and help keep our employees happy and healthy. This includes a fitness center, employee healthcare clinic, electric vehicle charging stations, dry cleaning, full-service cafeteria and copy center. This is where you’ll find newly-designed, activity-based work spaces to suit a variety of working styles while increasing collaboration between teams.
Summary of the Group
The Microbial Sciences group at AstraZeneca is studying the impact of the microbiome on the host immune response and its potential role in driving chronic disease. We’re constantly pushing the boundaries of science to deliver life-changing medicines to patients, with a passion for discovery and a pipeline to show for it. We’re pioneering innovative research and exploring novel pathways through which the microbiome can be used across key therapeutic areas including respiratory and inflammation and cardiovascular and metabolic disease. We’re industry-leading in immunology, protein engineering and translational science. We offer a unique and strong collaborative network as part of the AstraZeneca family, as together we explore synergies between small and large molecules.
Main Duties & Responsibilities
The ideal candidate for this role will possess an excitement for learning new things, thinking outside of the box and developing or enhancing their personal toolbox of techniques. Previous in vivo experience is required.
- Lead or help to perform in vitro and vivo experiments for target discovery identification and candidate drug selection in pipeline projects
- Conduct in vivo experiments to understand the role of microbiome and test therapeutic efficacy of antibodies and small molecules in systemic inflammation, metabolic diseases and respiratory diseases in particular chronic respiratory and allergic disease models
- Independently develop in vitro assays for target validation and candidate drug selection
- Analyze data and interpret results with minimal supervision
- Prepare technical summaries, protocols, analysis, and maintain appropriate documentation
- Work collaboratively with colleagues across the organization
Education & Experience Requirements
Bachelor's Degree with 5-8 years of experience in a laboratory setting, ideally in the biopharmaceutical industry; OR Master's Degree with 3-5 years of experience in a laboratory setting, ideally in the biopharmaceutical industry
- Broad knowledge in immunologic assays including but not limited to flow cytometry, ELISA, cell based assays, bacteria killing assays, cellular and bacterial culture
- Broad experience in developing and conducting inflammatory animal models of diseases and tissue processing
- Hands on experience in high throughput screening assays, and allergic/ respiratory animal disease models are preferred.
- Skills in molecular biology techniques (Western blot, qRT-PCR, immunostaining) would be a plus
- Maintain high laboratory standards with regard to safety and quality
- Must be able to understand, conduct and interpret results of technically challenging experiments with minimum supervision.
- Strong organization skills and attention to detail for record keeping
- Ability to communicate effectively analyze and present data
At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change, we seize it and make it happen, because any opportunity no matter how small, can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing medicines is about being entrepreneurial - finding those moments and recognizing their potential. Join us on our journey of building a new kind of organization to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we’re opening new ways to work, pioneering cutting edge methods and bringing unexpected teams together. Interested? Come and join our journey.
So, what’s next?
Are you ready to bring new ideas and fresh thinking to the table? Brilliant! We have one seat available, and we hope it’s yours.
Where can I find out more?
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.