Associate Principal Scientist, Solid Tumor ADC Portfolio, Early Oncology
Associate Principal Scientist, Solid Tumor ADC Portfolio, Early Oncology
Location: Gaithersburg, MD
What is Happening at AstraZeneca
AstraZeneca is a global, science-led, patient-focused biopharmaceutical company that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialization of prescription medicines for some of the world’s most serious diseases. But we’re more than one of the world’s leading pharmaceutical companies. A place built on courage, curiosity and collaboration – we make bold decisions driven by patient outcomes. Empowered to lead at every level, free to ask questions and take sensible risks that write the next chapter for our pipeline and Oncology team. Make a significant impact that brings real benefits to society. By applying your knowledge of data, you will help to redefine our industry and ultimately save lives. Work with experts who share a common goal: to accelerate the potential of medicines and the science of tomorrow.
About Our Gaithersburg Oncology Hub
Our Gaithersburg, Maryland facility creates life-changing medicines for people around the world. This campus employs more than 3,500 experts in our field and is only a short drive from Washington, DC. This modern and vibrant scientific campus is the home of R&D and Oncology in the US. Here, we host some of the most ground-breaking technology and lab spaces, all designed to inspire collaboration and cross-functional science. We are dedicated to crafting a culture of inclusion and collaboration.
The Gaithersburg site offers a variety of amenities to help keep our employees happy and healthy. This includes a fitness center, employee healthcare clinic, electric vehicle charging stations, dry cleaning, full-service cafeteria, copy center, game rooms, community garden, and much more. This is where you’ll find newly-designed, activity-based work spaces to suit a variety of working styles while increasing collaboration between teams.
We are seeking a highly motivated Associate Principal Scientist with a proven track record of scientific excellence and project leadership in oncology research to join our antibody-drug conjugates (ADCs) portfolio team within the Early Oncology Discovery group in Gaithersburg, MD USA.
As an Associate Principal Scientist you will lead a team focused on bringing new ADC projects into the portfolio and advancing them through all stages of pre-clinical development. You will bring your theoretical and practical expertise to lead pipeline projects, establishing program priorities and working with a cross-functional team to deliver pre-clinical datasets to support pipeline progression.
You will represent the team in front of governance committees and will present program updates at other internal forums. You will also make intellectual contributions to programs across the ADC Portfolio and be an engaged people manager and mentor.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- You will be expected to serve as Oncology biology lead for one or more pipeline programs, working collaboratively with cross-functional teams to ensure the timely generation and dissemination of critical program data to enable milestone progression decisions.
- You will help set program strategy, and will be responsible for the delivery of key pre-clinical data that support a strong biological rationale for program progression.
- You will be expected to work independently and collaboratively, and effectively plan and organize work activities and prioritize task completion for yourself and direct reports.
- You will lead and mentor a team of direct reports.
- As a highly organized, self-motivated individual with a strong background in cancer biology, you will stay up to date with relevant technical and intellectual scientific expertise in tumor biology and cancer modelling, particularly as it relates to antibody drug conjugates, and have a genuine passion for this field of research.
- PhD with 5-10 years of research experience or Master’s degree with 8+ years within the pharmaceutical industry and clear demonstration of solving challenging problems in drug discovery
- Demonstrated ability to lead cross functional project teams.
- Demonstrated management and leadership skills and a passion for mentorship
- Strong knowledge of solid tumor cancers, in-vitro and in-vivo pre-clinical models of cancer, cell biology, molecular biology, and/or biochemistry in the context of cancer biology, with a strong desire for continued learning.
- Works independently to design and conduct key experiments to support program progression.
- Excellent verbal and written communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills and evidence of delivery in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- A consistent track record of efficiency, as demonstrated by scientific publications in high quality peer-reviewed journals.
- Ensures own work, and work of peers, is compliant with Safety, Health, and Environment standards and all other relevant internal AstraZeneca standards and external regulations.
- Prior experience in the biopharmaceutical industry
- Prior experience with antibody-drug conjugates
At AstraZeneca, we put patients first and strive to meet their unmet needs worldwide. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. If you are swift to action, confident to lead, willing to collaborate, and curious about what science can do, then you’re our kind of person.
So, what’s next!
Are you already imagining yourself joining our team? Good, because we can’t wait to hear from you!
If you’re curious to know more, please contact Bobbi Poole, our Talent Acquisition Partner.
Closing Date: July 23, 2022
Competitive remuneration and benefits apply
We offer a competitive Total Reward program including a market driven base salary, bonus and long term incentive. We have a generous paid time off program and a comprehensive benefits package.
Where can I find out more?
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.