Associate Informatics Scientist I
We are seeking a highly motivated Associate Scientist to join the Microbial Sciences group to participate in the study of drug efficacy utilizing various molecular tools at AstraZeneca’s Gaithersburg, MD site. The position offers a unique opportunity for a talented Associate Scientist to work in a dynamic, innovative and collaborative environment. S/he will not only interact with Scientists in the Microbial Sciences group but will be collaborating with translational and clinical scientists in multiple therapeutic areas, as well with data scientists within the DS & AI group to develop his/her career at the interface of basic research, drug discovery and translational sciences.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
The Associate Scientist will analyze viral and bacterial genomic data from research and/or clinical trials for resistance monitoring in support of antiviral and antibacterial monoclonal antibody and vaccine programs. The position will also entail interfacing with CROs for the handling of genomics data streams and the drafting of internal data reports. The candidate is expected to be savvy with handling sequencing data and have strong analytical abilities.
Education: BS degree (with 3 to 5 years of experience in academia/industry) or MS/MPH (preferred) in molecular biology, epidemiology or bioinformatics with a strong background in microbiology, virology or related discipline.
- Extensive experience in processing and analyzing sequencing data from research, and clinical samples.
- Experience with diagnostic QPCR and NGS methodologies with respect to pathogen detection and characterization.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct a high-level novel projects with a strong track record of developing creative solutions to complex problems.
- Must be motivated and capable of working independently as well as collaboratively.
- The applicant must have strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Skilled at analyzing and reporting data in the context of pathogen surveillance.
- Experience with Linux command line environments, familiarity with sequencing and library preparation for whole genome pathogen sequencing.
- Preferred but not required skills: proficiency in Spotfire or similar, prior software and lab assay validation experience as well as interacting with Contract Research Organizations.
- Experience analyzing RNA-Seq and/or microbiome sequencing data is a plus
Wet lab sequencing experience is a plus
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.