Associate Director Value Strategy Evidence
At AstraZeneca, we turn ideas into life changing medicines. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. We're focused on the potential of science to address the unmet needs of patients around the world. We commit to those areas where we think we can really change the course of medicine and bring big new insights to life.
The Associate Director, U.S. Value Strategy is an integral member of the U.S. Market Access organization. Working together with the Value Strategy Directors, the Associate Director will be responsible for supporting the development of bespoke innovative reimbursement and payment models (i.e., Innovative Value Strategies (IVS) at key customers within the U.S. business.
The Associate Director will closely partner with peer colleagues across numerous functions (namely, Payer Evidence, Payer Medical, HEOR, Brand Access Strategy, Corporate & Government Affairs, Brand Medical Directors, Contracting Strategy, Global Medical/HEOR, and Pricing Strategy) and will be responsible for synthesizing available brand specific clinical and real world evidence, understanding customer IVS value drivers and assisting in the development of IVS frameworks (e.g., Outcomes-based Contracts and Value-based Pricing Models) and business support solutions at launch and throughout a product’s life cycle. Specific responsibilities of the role include:
- Synthesis of Evidence & Gap Analysis/Environmental Analysis:
- Conducting a full evaluation of all available RCT/RWE/HEOR & other evidence in collaboration with the Payer Evidence and Medical teams
- Assembling & packaging all applicable evidence, and identifying evidence gaps
- Conducting a periodic environmental scan of the Payer and Policy environment as it relates to the deployment of IVSs across the AZ product portfolio
- Construction of IVS Frameworks:
- Conducting environmental assessments through field facing teams or external agencies, to understand the IVS specific value drivers at various customer accounts
- Supporting the development of payer analytics plans, data table shells and payer coding templates/calculations, where applicable
- Assisting in the development of materials for legal / compliance and contracting team reviews & approvals of IVS constructs
- Creating customer presentation materials & related documents (e.g., slide decks, customizing analytic process guides)
- IVS Implementation (Payer Analytics Coordination & Outcomes Reporting):
- Working with Market Access/account team colleagues in identifying appropriate accounts for IVS deployment
- Working with customer facing teams in creating a cadence for ongoing monitoring of IVS constructs
- Maintaining a log of implemented IVSs at all customer accounts
- Conducting a financial performance evaluation of implemented IVS constructs
- Supporting the Value Strategy directors in finalizing outcomes reports in collaboration with payer accounts
The Associate Director will have technical training and/or demonstrated experience/knowledge of applying HEOR/RWE output for purposes of delivering strategic market access solutions (payer-facing experience is strongly preferred). Proficiency in using Excel, PowerPoint, and other productivity and project management software is essential. A working knowledge/understanding of actuarial analysis and financial modeling is a plus.
Key Demonstrated Abilities and Performance Indicators:
- Works effectively across a large corporate matrix of key internal partners, managing expectations from multiple viewpoints
- Self-starting, independent, entrepreneurial demeanor who thrives on new challenges and who is able to apply these skills in a team/partnership environment
- Established capability to apply insights and feedback related to payer needs by supporting the development of strategy and execution of specific tactics that directly target those needs – must have a passion for identifying, prioritizing, and anticipating evolving payer trends and needs
- Ability to communicate effectively with peers, manage operational challenges, and manage completing project priorities
- Ability to influence without authority
Education & Training:
- Bachelor’s degree in a scientific and/or business area is required. Masters-level training is highly preferred, specifically in a field related to Finance or HEOR/Biostatistics/Epidemiology/Health Services Research (e.g., MBA, MPH).
- Minimum of 3 years of pharmaceutical proven experience required with demonstrated capabilities in access strategy, contracting, pricing and/or HEOR/RWE (direct payer-facing experience highly desired)
- Understanding of the U.S. healthcare reimbursement landscape, a diverse set of payer segments, and evolving market access trends
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in a matrix environment, and to manage multiple projects/results concurrently while securing cross-functional alignment
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to prioritize across competing priorities
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to travel (domestic U.S. travel approx. 15-20% annually)
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.