Associate Director, Medical & Payer Evidence Statistics
Associate Director, Medical & Payer Evidence Statistics
At AstraZeneca, we put patients first and strive to meet their unmet needs worldwide. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. If you are swift to action, confident to lead, willing to collaborate, and curious about what science can do, then you’re our kind of person
What you’ll do
Work with a high degree of independence to provide advanced biostatistical support. Writes and/or reviews statistical methodology and gives statistical input to the design and review of research protocols and proposals. Displays sound level of competence in a range of statistical methodologies and will often act as a point of reference for others.
Maintains awareness of new developments in statistical methodologies. Has practical experience in applying statistics to observational and clinical research data. Statistical aspects of the role involve providing statistical input to protocols, writing and/or reviewing statistical analysis plans and analyzing data from primary and secondary observational studies and clinical trials.
- Provide statistical expertise in the design, analysis and interpretation of secondary observational research studies/IVS contracts and primary data collection clinical studies/trials in support of BioPharmaceuticals Medical & Payer evidence generation research activities.
- Provide expert advice in the analysis of real world data (such as medical claims, electronic health records, registries) for stakeholders in Epidemiology, Market Access / HEOR, Medical Affairs, and other functional areas. These analyses may include:
- Treatment patterns and drug utilization
- Resource utilization
- The incidence and prevalence of diseases and co-morbidities
- Burden of disease
- Comparative effectiveness and safety
- Value Based Contract Agreements
- Undertakes design and analysis of complex studies.
- Provide statistical guidance on the development of Study Design Concepts, Protocols, Statistical Analysis Plans, Data Presentation Plans, Clinical Study Reports and publication activities in support of BPM clinical/observational study activities.
- May have involvement with statistical reviews on BPM Governance committees as needed.
- Provide oversight of CRO analytic activities for outsourced BPM clinical/observational studies as needed, supporting the Study Lead in reviewing all analytical activities outsourced to external vendors, including analysis plans, review of interim/final results and publications development.
- May provide hands-on analytical support for internal RWE analyses across BioPharmaceuticals Medical.
- Collaborate in the development of operational systems and research processes to increase the effectiveness and efficiency of RWS&D research efforts.
- Collaborate and provide guidance to junior statisticians
Essential for the role:
- Graduate degree in Statistics, Biostatistics, or related quantitative fields (epidemiology, health outcomes, health informatics or health economics) or equivalent course work/ technical experience with experience in pharma/healthcare or other relevant discipline.
- MS experience or PhD with 5 experience in the design, analysis and reporting of clinical studies/trials in a pharmaceutical research or academic setting.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively on cross-functional teams across global & functional boundaries, both internally and externally.
- Strong project management/organizational and prioritization skills.
- Self-motivated with the ability to work independently to solve complex and challenging problems using innovative strategies while maintaining focus on quality.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to build strong relationships.
Desirable for the role:
- Experience in RWE observational research study management and data analytics, either within pharmaceutical industry or with an observational research consulting firm or academia.
- Extensive knowledge and demonstrated experience with a variety of real-world data sources and observational research study design/execution in biotech/pharmaceuticals, consulting or academia.
- Experience working with large healthcare claims and EMR databases such as Truven MarketScan, Optum, CPRD or similar.
- Advanced knowledge of epidemiologic and/or health economics methods, (e.g., propensity score analysis, marginal structural modeling).
- Experience using RWE Analytic Tools & platforms (e.g., IHD/Aetion Analytic tools)
- Proficiency in SAS, SQL and/or R.
Why AstraZeneca? At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change, we seize it and make it happen, because any opportunity no matter how small, can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing medicines is about being entrepreneurial - finding those moments and recognising their potential. Join us on our journey of building a new kind of organisation to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.