Associate Director/Director Mass Spectrometry Proteomics BioPharma Dynamic Omics/CGR
Do you have a passion for science? Would you like to apply your expertise to impact a company that follows the science and turns ideas into life changing medicines? Then AstraZeneca might be the one for you! Working here means being bold, thinking big, and working together to make the impossible a reality. If you are swift to action, confident to lead, willing to collaborate, and curious about what science can do, then you’re our kind of person.
Do you have expertise for discovery proteomics? As an Associate Director/Director within the Dynamic Omics team in Gaithersburg, MD, you’ll play a pivotal role in channeling our proteomic capabilities, making a positive impact on the development of new medicines and changing patients’ lives.
Summary of the Group
We are part of the Centre for Genomics Research (CGR) and Discovery Sciences within AstraZeneca, and work across all therapeutic areas: Oncology, Cardiovascular, Renal and Metabolism (CVRM), Respiratory and Immunology (R&I), Vaccines and Immunotherapies (V&I), Neurosciences, and Rare Diseases.
We deliver key data to projects across all phases of drug discovery and development, and works with all modalities from small molecules to biologics. The Associate Director/Director of the Proteomics team provides leadership, mentorship, and technical guidance to mass spectrometry-based proteomics scientists to advance the team’s data delivery to AstraZeneca’s robust drug portfolio. This is a partial lab-based role with a leadership role for a minimum of four scientists (Associate Director) or eight scientists (Director). Establish efficient proteomics workflows together with other leaders and provide guidance on fit-for-purpose proteomics experiments. Work closely with muti-disciplinary teams to support projects from idea conception through proof-of-concept and delivery of drug candidates. Lead efforts developing new proteomics techniques to stay at the for front of the industry. Seek opportunities to improve the efficiency and success of proteomics workflows and collaborate with other teams in CGR using the power of automation, ML and AI. Provide expertise to different therapeutic area partners driving the understanding of the biology of the disease through proteomics analyses. Update proteomics lab infrastructure continuously, streamline lab workflows, and work with scientists to improve data capture and management.
This role will primarily lead scientists in collaborations with our therapeutic areas. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to work and grow in a fast-paced environment under the supervision of senior staff members.
- Responsible for oversight of mass spectrometrists/proteomics experts.
- Responsible for proteomics workflows from experimental design, mass spectrometry techniques, and data analysis of pre-clinical and clinical studies.
- Provide mentorship to other team members.
- Modernize instrumentation continuously.
- Summarize data for presentations, reports, and publications with accountability for accuracy. Review and approve proteomics data and reports to ensure quality and integrity.
- Lead collaborations and communicate effectively with authorities from various technical backgrounds.
- Operate effectively in a multidisciplinary matrix research environment, providing leadership and insight.
- Influence through initiatives, presentations, publications, governing bodies and consortium activities,
- Ensure that work is conducted in a safe and compliant manner; maintain lab documentation, establish SOPs and/or practice in accordance with established SOPs, GLP requirements.
Education and Experience Requirements:
PhD or equivalent in bioanalytical chemistry, proteomics, or relevant subject area, with extensive relevant scientific experience.
- Experience leading PhD level scientists in mass spectrometry/proteomics with significant hands-on experience to operate, maintain, and troubleshoot nano liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry instrumentation (timsTOF Pro2, timTOF SCP, Orbitrap Ascend, and/or Exploris 480), following best industry practices.
- Lead collaborations and advance projects by standardizing the design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data from of our preclinical and clinical studies, and summary of experimental results for presentations, review for accuracy and write reports and high-quality/high impact scientific publications.
- Experience with a variety of proteomic data analyses and bioinformatic tools, including commercial software and/or programming such as R or Python.
- Strong multi-tasking, time management, organizational skills and excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Proven ability to lead by example with honesty, integrity, flexibility, creativity, and collaborative spirit thereby building successful teams.
- Ability to handle multiple projects and/or tasks in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience with establishing automated lab processes.
- Experience with Genedata Profiler
- Experience with multiomic integration and working with data scientists creating data analysis platforms
- Extensive experience with setting goals and objectives, motivating and developing scientists and influencing recruitment of successful teams
Education and Experience Requirements:
PhD or equivalent in bioanalytical chemistry, proteomics, or relevant subject area, with extensive relevant scientific and 5-year industry or center of excellence experience in a similar role.
Essential required skills: (all criteria listed for Associate Director role plus the following):
- Lead the proteomics strategy to develop and optimize new proteomic technologies in line with industry practices.
- Consistent track record establishing new capabilities by working with data scientists to assist creating data analysis platforms harnessing the power of automation, ML and AI.
- Recognized authority in the field with internal and external influence through initiatives, presentations, publications, governing bodies, and consortium activities.
- Effective stakeholder leadership skills.
- Successfully leading high-impact publications.
Make a significant impact to patients’ lives around the globe
At AstraZeneca, we 're dedicated to being a Great Place to Work, where you are empowered to push the boundaries of science and ignite your Entrepreneurial ambitious spirit. There’s no better place to make a difference in medicine, patients, and society. An inclusive culture that champions diversity and teamwork. Always committed to lifelong learning, growth, and development.
Where can I find out more?
Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedInhttps://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebookhttps://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagramhttps://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements.
AstraZeneca requires all US employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 but will consider requests for reasonable accommodations as required by applicable law.