Associate Director, Data Acquisition & Optimization
At AstraZeneca, we turn ideas into life-changing medicines. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big, and working together to make the impossible a reality. We're focused on the potential of science to address the unmet needs of patients around the world. We commit to those areas where we can really change the course of medicine and bring new and innovative ideas to life. If you are swift to action, confident to lead, willing to collaborate, and curious about what science can do, then you’re our kind of person.
AstraZeneca Oncology is looking to hire an Associate Director, Data Optimization & Governance to join the Data Management team in the US Oncology Sales Force Operations organization. This is a strategic and dynamic role that is positioned to drive effectiveness creating value through centralized data acquisition, governance and collaboration across US Commercial Oncology business, Commercial Operations, Procurement, Information Technology and Vendors (navigating account team through to contract and integration planning). S/he will establish a Center of Excellence (COE) developing and leveraging strategic partnerships, commercial governance solutions, data asset optimization, data acquisition efficiencies and innovative commercial solutions to drive business value and speed of solutions/business impact. In this role s/he will bring extensive business acumen and strategic agility with a ‘business-first’ perspective that drives the impact of data through optimal purchases of strategic data sources (in place & emerging), business & vendor relationships, solutions/services, insights & analytics, account management, other capabilities and best practices in this discipline. This role is also the primary interface for day to day interaction managing opportunities & innovation with both commercial data providers, internal customers and AZ’s enterprise master data management team. S/he may have additional responsibilities in the Data Management area based on capacity and experience.
Leadership Capabilities & Values:
- Quickly identifies and acts on opportunities, combining forethought with action; also fosters the same in others. This is based on an understanding of the internal and external data environment and its potential for positive impact on our business.
- Presents an underlying courage to drive simplification and prioritization that identifies opportunities for AZ to win via strategic thinking and smart-risk. Holds self and others accountable for the achievement of performance expectations. Creates an environment that enables others to perform at their best.
- Actively creates and promotes cross-boundary collaboration and ultimately data governance with the aim of achieving better business results. Implementing innovative and collaborative data governance aligned to business strategy will play a key role in the success of this position and deliver both top and bottom-line impact.
- Act as subject matter expert for commercial data inquiries via creating and managing a data acquisition Center of Excellence (COE) delivering value from data asset optimization of our current strategic data partners while cultivating new strategic relationships with emerging data partners.
- Shape the creation and oversight for the matrixed data optimization team while partnering with leads from Insights, Data Management, Field Reporting, Procurement and other functions as they are needed.
- Partner with current strategic data vendors to generate further insight from current data assets while cultivating new strategic relationships with current and emerging data partners. Demonstrated ability to manage and mature strategic relationships.
- Well developed and politically savvy with senior managers and above. Experience interacting with, presenting to and/or advising senior management
- Manage data purchases within and across budgets and other commercial/brand cost centers as well as experience shaping multiple detailed multi-cost center purchase orders.
- Able to form, develop and communicate business insights/impact of the data, and options to internal teams; as well as the ability to socialize, influence and/or defend those insights.
- Partner with Commercial procurement, legal, finance, insights and brand teams throughout vendor negotiations, contracting and account management in order to drive strategic critical initiatives maximizing the value for AZ.
- Drive the communication, alignment and implementation of our commercial data strategy throughout Commercial business & Operations.
- Manage and optimize the AZ US Oncology commercial relationships with our current and emerging vendors, including third party agreements and data sharing.
- Implement value-added balanced scorecard(s), processes, visibility and KPI to enable optimal alignment of Commercial data purchases.
- Develop processes for expedited/refined review of data purchases and/or inquiries
- Ability, want and purpose to transform and shape the future of commercial operations and the value we bring.
- Ability and want to be “hands-on” as we partner, shape and build the Data Acquisition COE capabilities.
- Minimum 5 years pharmaceutical, biotechnology experience with a focus in Commercial Operations
- Experience in commercial data products, insights, data management and analytics
- Experience working with and optimizing Specialty Distribution data
- Demonstrated analytics skills and use of multiple software tools (Access, Excel, other)
- Ability to combine a strong qualitative & quantitative foundation with business acumen, influence and delivery
- Ability to engage in multiple work streams simultaneously
Preferred Skills & Experience
- Experience in multiple channels and/or Therapeutic Areas preferred with a focus on Specialty Care / Oncology (including Hospital/non-retail, Specialty Distribution (Specialty Distributors & Specialty Pharmacy) and government entities
- Experience working in an/or establishing a COE
- Success leading and developing Relationship Management and Portfolio Management
- Financial/cost center experience managing spend >3M
- Account Management Experience
- Previous role in a consultative position and/or experience
- BA/BS degree in relevant field required; Advanced degree preferred.
<10% regional travel is aligned to this position
At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change, we seize it and make it happen, because any opportunity no matter how small, can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing medicines is about being entrepreneurial - finding those moments and recognizing their potential. Join us on our journey of building a new kind of organization to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we’re opening new ways to work, pioneering cutting-edge methods, and bringing unexpected teams together. Interested? Come and join our journey.
Are you already imagining yourself joining our team? Good, because we can’t wait to hear from you.
Where can I find out more?
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
AstraZeneca has taken critical steps to protect colleagues, loved ones, and patients from COVID-19 and its variants. COVID-19 vaccination is required for all US employees, and weekly PCR COVID-19 testing is required for those who are unvaccinated or have an approved accommodation.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements.
AstraZeneca requires all US employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 but will consider requests for reasonable accommodations as required by applicable law.