Associate Director, CMC Project Management-BPD
Do you have a passion for Science? Would you like to apply your expertise to impact a company that follows the science and turns ideas into life changing medicines? Then AstraZeneca might be the one for you!
At AstraZeneca, we put patients first and strive to meet their unmet needs worldwide. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. If you are swift to action, confident to lead, willing to collaborate, and curious about what science can do, then you’re our kind of person.
About AstraZeneca in Gaithersburg, MD:
Our Gaithersburg, Maryland facility creates life-changing medicines for people around the world. This campus employs more than 3,500 experts in our field and is only a short drive from Washington, DC. This modern and vibrant scientific campus is the home of R&D and Oncology in the US. Here, we play host to some of the most cutting-edge technology and lab spaces, all designed to inspire collaboration and cross-functional science. We believe employees benefit from being challenged and inspired at work. We are dedicated to creating a culture of inclusion and collaboration.
The Gaithersburg site offers a variety of amenities to help boost productivity and help keep our employees happy and healthy. This includes a fitness center, employee healthcare clinic, electric vehicle charging stations, dry cleaning, full-service cafeteria and copy center. This is where you’ll find newly-designed, activity-based work spaces to suit a variety of working styles while increasing collaboration between teams.
Summary of the group:
The CMC Project Management Group drives the AstraZeneca Biologics project delivery from early research to launch. CMC Project managers plan, coordinate, and deliver CMC activities in line with project requirements and timelines; plan and monitor resources and expenses for product development and clinical manufacture; and perform strategic planning for platform and novel processes. The group interfaces globally with early research, Operations, Regulatory, and all development functions.
The Associate Director, CMC Project Management works collaboratively with CMC Team Leaders and CMC Teams to ensure project goals and milestones are achieved. This role also leverages and applies operational management experience where appropriate to support alliances and collaborations and maintains, promotes and influences CMC project management systems and tools. This role has a high job complexity and the successful candidate must have a high level of independence to meet requirements outlined below with minimal to no supervision.
Main Duties & Responsibilities:
- Responsible for ensuring CMC projects are delivered to time, quality, budget, project standards, company quality standards, and align with AstraZeneca’s strategy
- Acts as a source of knowledge in area of expertise associated with defining, communicating and implementing project management strategy
- Develops and maintains processes, tools, and technology required to effectively manage a portfolio of projects
- Manages projects to ensure plans are optimal and meet overall strategic goals aligned with clinical development plans
- Introduces new ways of managing and planning projects through use of available systems and resources
- Leads and implements strategic initiatives related to CMC Project Management and BioPharmaceuticals Development
Education & Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor's, Master's, PhD or equivalent industry experience in a relevant technical discipline such as Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Microbiology, Genetics, Immunology or Chemical Engineering.
- Relevant training (PMP or equivalent) or experience in project management required.
- 3 to 5 years of Project Management experience (preferably in CMC) is required.
- Successful candidate must have experience in planning and managing the cross functional aspects of biopharmaceutical product development.
- The candidate will have demonstrated knowledge and application of Project Management tools
- This position requires a high level of commitment, flexibility and independence with strong skills for planning, coordination, teamwork, communication and interpersonal relations.
- Requires an ability to assess scientific data.
- Comfortable with ambiguity
- Must be professional, dedicated, and detail-orientated.
- Excellent oral and written communication, interpersonal, analytical, and computer skills.
- Effective problem solving and analytical skills to tackle and manage a broad range of issues and projects and deliver innovative solutions
- Highly organized and able to work independently on multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment
- Advanced degree within field
- Professional Project Management certification
- Business Strategy and Portfolio operational experience
- Combined experience of Project Management in a CMC or Process Development function
At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change, we seize it and make it happen, because any opportunity no matter how small, can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing medicines is about being entrepreneurial - finding those moments and recognising their potential. Join us on our journey of building a new kind of organisation to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we’re opening new ways to work, pioneering cutting edge methods and bringing unexpected teams together. Interested? Come and join our journey.
So, what’s next!
Are you ready to bring new ideas and fresh thinking to the table? Brilliant! We have one seat available and we hope it’s yours.
Where can I find out more?
Check out our landing page for more information on our BPD group https://careers.astrazeneca.com/bpd
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.