Associate Director - Business Planning Operations (Late Development Oncology)
This is a new role to the Late Development Oncology (LDO) Clinical Development (Clin Dev) team and offers the opportunity for a candidate to build on their leadership, project management and drug development skills in a fast paced and highly matrixed environment. As an Associate Director, Business Planning and Operations, you will provide project management support for the VP, Head of Clinical and more broadly for the Clin Dev function.
You will support the Late Development Oncology Clinical Development function for managing, tracking and delivery of the Clinical development’s resource and portfolio goals to maximize the ability of the function to deliver its portfolio of projects. You will lead LDO Clin Dev and / or cross functional non-drug scientific & organisational change projects and programmes, where required.
This position will work cross-functionally with the entire leadership team and will work closely with the Clinical Operations and project teams as well as with the core business planning and operations Late Development Oncology team and of broader AstraZeneca.
What You will do:
Clin Dev functional business planning & scorecard related activities
- Partner with leadership team to supply to LDO Clin Developments’ business plan and goals in scorecard, tracks delivery, produces performance updates of Clinical Development.
- Provide robust business information to senior leaders to support decision making.
Clin Dev business improvement / change management
- Leads LDO Clin Dev and / or cross functional non-drug scientific & strategic & technical & change projects and programmes, where required.
- Leads and delivers LDO Clin Dev and / or cross functional non-drug scientific & strategic & technical & organisational change projects to meet timelines, deliverables, budgets requirements and other success criteria. Select responsibilities in support of such initiatives include : organizing cross functional team meetings; developing agendas; drafting minutes; following up on and closing out action items; maintenance of centralized document repository (e.g. Box or SharePoint); establishing regular communication with project team members, project sponsors, and key partners; identifying vendors and / or systems vital for the successful completion of the project; providing a central point of contact for project partners, ensuring communication with personnel and at all levels of the organization; influencing without direct reporting authority, must be able to lead and influence up as well as down the org structure.
- Applies methodologies and tools to translate project vision into practical project plans that ensure impactful solutions in a timely and efficient manner.
- Support implementation of strategic goals for processes, organisational change and continuous improvement initiatives. Leads such initiatives, where required.
- Support business cases for strategic partnerships, if required.
- Provide support to Development Review Committee (DRC) / Protocol Review Committee (PRC) as required.
Clin Dev functional resource and budget planning
- Project management of key information systems and processes for LDO Clin Dev to include, but not be limited to, in partnership with LDO’s portfolio capacity management lead:
- Maintain a forecast of departmental vacancies across skill types and the phasing of filling of these so that budget estimates can be made. Work in conjunction with the LDO BPO Lead on staffing plans as needed.
- Monitor departmental information and compliance with the MyTime, timecard system.
- Track contract end dates for contract staff to ensure that contracts are renewed where appropriate and that access to AZ systems for contract employees is maintained. Work with ERMO as needed to address issues related to contract staff.
- Maintain departmental travel plan and budget for Clin Dev function to ensure that all travel is tracked so that we understand demand for travel funds vs approved budget.
- Maintain updated organizational charts for the Clin Dev function and each of the teams.
- Facilitate regular resource discussions to develop and agree plans to address priority resource shortfalls by reallocation of current staff, or through hiring of contractor workers, or permanent staff. Will also support organisation of interviews and some parts of the onboarding process.
- Support management of long-range planning, finances and resourcing for LDO Clin Dev. Facilitates regular portfolio reviews for resourcing.
- Provide functional input to any assessment of the ability to deliver the portfolio required by broader LDO and AstraZeneca groups.
Clin Dev functional communications and events
- Strategically partners with broader AstraZeneca communications team to identify & deliver key engagements and events.
- Coordinate & facilitate LDO Clin Dev Leadership team meetings and other functional meetings. Supply to and facilitate LDO meetings, including townhalls, as appropriate
Clin Dev functional people development and training activities
- Responsible for Late Development’s career ladder updates
- Enable training to support the Clin Dev role specific performance efficiently, including:
- Support mandated GCP training and the cross functional mentoring and coaching plans aligned to Clin Dev function needs and objectives
- Support the build of induction modules core and specific to physician & medical scientist roles – to be maintained and updated as needed in DEGREED as a specific oncology clin dev training pathway
- Management of SOP allocation in SABA pertinent to physician & medical scientist roles including arranging of focused GCP training where appropriate
- Tracking of allocation and T & D spend against HR corporate trainings ensuring parity of training opportunities across projects and Clin Dev needs
- Enable people development activities:
- Management of the relevant meetings, agenda and actions that will ensure appropriate succession planning, rewarding performance, goal setting, etc.
- Project management, tracking and reporting of approved people development activities and budget spend
- Management and conduct of the clinical development line managers forum
- Lead the roll out and tracking of initiatives emerging from the developing R&D learning strategy on behalf of the VP, Head of Clinical
- Responsible to contribute to workstreams related to community and Wellbeing initiatives for LDO
- The jobholder requires a high level of cultural sensitivity, interactive communication, negotiation and effective teamwork. This necessitates considerable tact, discretion and persuasion to acquire desired outcomes while maintaining ongoing professional relationships.
Essential for the role:
- Bachelor’s degree required, advanced degree preferred with >5 years pharmaceutical industries experience (Ideally with a Clinical Development, Clinical Ops, Drug Development Background)
- Validated experience of clinical development / drug development process in various phases of development and therapy areas.
- Knowledge of oncology drug development strategy and process, highly desired
- Knowledge of or passion for digital solutions, highly desired
- Validated knowledge of project management tools and processes
- Validated ability to learn by working in multiple phases, TAs and/or different development situations.
- Skilled & experienced in change management
- Confirmed strong project management and cross-function team leadership skills
- Ability to assess issues/risks and successfully implement remediation measurements
- Critical strategic problem solver and highly analytical; ability to initiate, develop and implement new strategies and processes
- Ability to look for and champion more efficient and effective methods/processes of delivering Clinical Development focusing on key performance metrics around reliability
- Proven ability to set and lead priorities, resources, performance targets and project initiatives
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Well-developed organizational and social skills. Comfortable working with culturally diverse teams.
- Flexibility to adapt to changing business needs or project-specific requirements
- Comfortable working with senior management
Desirable for the role:
- Project management certification is desirable but not required.
- Knowledge of process improvement methodology such as Lean Sigma/Change Management is desirable but not required
Competitive Salary and Benefits
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.