Associate Director, Brand Communications, US Oncology
At AstraZeneca (AZ), we lead our industry in our development of a strong and varied pipeline. This means our people are here to win, we give you a breadth of opportunities to be curious and do groundbreaking, outstanding work that has big impact on science and medicine.
We're proud of our pipeline – It’s not only changing the face of our industry for good, it’s redefining the careers of our people. We’re committed to a culture of continuous learning and people development so everyone at AstraZeneca can grow and thrive.
As the Associate Director, Oncology Brand Communications you'll strategically support our US Oncology Corporate Affairs communication initiatives and report directly to the department Head. We need you to develop US Oncology franchise-level external and internal communications strategies and plans, including: brand public relations, media, internal communications, advocacy, corporate reputation, policy and medical communications.
If you possess an innate passion for strategic planning, stakeholder engagement, and outstanding communication skills, we want to invest in and use your talents to execute against Corporate Affairs strategies in support of the business.
You'll sit on a franchise leadership team, providing strategic communications counsel to the franchise Head and Marketing team. You'll continuously develop your skills by collaborating with a cross-functional team to deliver robust public relations initiatives for a portfolio of brands and/or indications.
The Brand Communications Associate Director will lead all aspects of all franchise external communications, and will work with the US Oncology Corporate Affairs team to develop and deliver a strategic above-brand approach to protecting and improving the reputation of the broader US Oncology business.
You'll collaborate regularly with colleagues in other areas of US Corporate Affairs, Global Corporate Affairs, Marketing, Medical, Legal, Compliance and Regulatory functions to deliver on initiatives, and provide counsel.
This will include developing and executing strategic and coordinated communications plan, supporting data breakthroughs and Congresses, finding opportunities for unbranded programming, integrating patient stories into internal and external communications, writing and editing materials and serving as liaison with PR agencies.
- Coordinate and execute the development of internal and external programs and partner communications on behalf of US Oncology Corporate Affairs to drive awareness around data, brand achievements, and patient programs and materials
- Work with US Corporate Affairs Advocacy, Policy and Government Affairs colleagues to support relationships with key patient groups and other partners
- Work closely with US and Global Corporate Affairs colleagues, incorporating external media and internal communications, to ensure integration and effective relationship building across US Oncology franchises and appropriate vertical groups as well as ensuring global alignment
- Serve as day-to-day contact for agency partners to ensure delivery of projects and programs within budget and on schedule
- Undergraduate degree in business, communications or public health
- +7 years of experience demonstrating growing levels of experience in corporate affairs, public affairs, corporate communications and issues management
- Understanding of public relations or communications in the pharmaceutical industry and across different stages of the life cycle
- Strong writing, communications, and presentation skills
- Experience developing and executing media strategies across traditional, digital and social channels
- Ability to find opportunities and challenges and tackle them
- Project management capability, with knowledge of and direct experience developing and deliver programs and projects
- Ability to navigate sophisticated and matrixed organizations
- Amenable to after-hours work and weekend responsibilities – up to 20% travel required
- Healthcare PR agency experience and/or in-market brand communications experience
- Experience supporting Oncology products or businesses
- Experience operating in a large corporation with multiple internal and external partners
- Budget management experience
- Understanding of marketing principles and its application within communications / Corporate Affairs
Our Gaithersburg, Maryland facility crafts life-changing medicines for people around the world. This campus employs more than 3,500 specialists in our field and is only a short drive from Washington, DC. This modern and vibrant scientific campus is the home of R&D and Oncology in the US. Here, we play host to some of the most ground breaking technology and lab spaces, all crafted to encourage collaboration and cross-functional science. We believe employees benefit from being challenged and encouraged at work. We are dedicated to encouraging a culture of inclusion and collaboration.
The Gaithersburg site offers various amenities to help boost efficiency and help keep our employees happy and healthy. This includes a fitness center, employee healthcare clinic, electric vehicle charging stations, dry cleaning, full-service cafeteria and copy center. This is where you’ll find newly-designed, activity-based work spaces to suit a variety of working styles while strengthening collaboration between teams.
Join AstraZeneca and help us deliver life changing medicines. Be among our employees who continue to make us an innovation-driven company that stands firmly among the leaders in bio-pharmaceuticals.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.