AI Platform Engineer
AstraZeneca is a global, innovation-driven biopharmaceutical business that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialization of prescription medicines for some of the world's most serious diseases. But we're more than one of the world's leading pharmaceutical companies. At AstraZeneca, we're proud to have a unique workplace culture that inspires innovation and collaboration. Here, employees are empowered to express diverse perspectives and are made to feel valued, energized and rewarded for their ideas and creativity.
The Enterprise AI Platforms and Operations Team are responsible for building and running the platforms, tooling and infrastructure that powers AstraZeneca’s ambition to use AI in every step of the value chain, from discovering new compounds to patient safety systems.
We achieve this through a combination of technical leadership and agile focused development, continuously evaluating the fast-moving advancements in Machine Learning tooling for challenges across AstraZeneca’s R&D, Commercial and Operations domains. We deliver these tools through easy to access development environments that allow AstraZeneca’s Data Scientists and Machine Learning Engineers to focus on building groundbreaking solutions for patients at scale.
We are looking for an AI Platform Engineer to join our Enterprise AI Platforms and Operations Team. The ideal candidate will have industry-relevant experience delivering at scale Machine Learning or Data Science in the AWS cloud ecosystem.
You will be part of a collaborative team of multidisciplinary engineers and together have the chance to create tools that will advance the standard of healthcare, improving the lives of millions of patients across the globe. Our data science platforms will support major AI initiatives such as clinical trial data analysis, knowledge graph analytics, patient safety systems, deep learning led drug discovery, software as a medical device system.
As an AI Platform Engineer with an interest in building complex systems, you will be responsible for inventing how we use technology, machine learning, and data to enable the productivity of AstraZeneca. You will help build, deploy and develop our next generation of platforms and tools at scale.
- Collaborate with Data Scientists and Machine Learning Engineers from across the company to understand their challenges and work with them to build the platform that underpins their research.
- Be a part of a hard-working agile team, continuously improving AstraZeneca’s Machine Learning development environments, platforms and tooling
- Work closely and collaboratively with internal governance and compliance functions such as Cyber Security and Data Privacy to secure our estate without obstructing end-user productivity.
- Adapt standard machine learning methods to best exploit modern parallel environments (e.g. distributed clusters, multicore SMP, and GPU).
- Champion a “production first mindset” to ensure the necessary infrastructure and platforms are available to scale exploratory research to production.
Candidate Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- BSc/MSc/PhD degree in Computer Science or related quantitative or analytical field.
- 3+ years of relevant experience. Can include academic experience with advanced degrees.
- Solid experience working with AWS or equivalent cloud
- Experience working with Kubernetes and container-based applications.
- Experience in administering a production cluster, with an understanding of operators, storage classes and service meshes.
- Experience building and delivering software using the Python programming language, exceptional ability in other programming languages will be considered
- Demonstrable experience deploying the underlying infrastructure and tooling for running Machine Learning or Data Science at Scale using Infrastructure of Code
- Experience working in an Agile team
- Experience working with internal security standards and frameworks
- Experience working with GxP compliant life science systems will be looked upon favorably
- Experience leveraging DevOps to enable automation strategies
- Creative, collaborative and resilient.
Why join us
Join us at a crucial stage of our journey in becoming a digital and data-led enterprise. Make the impossible possible by building partnerships and ecosystems, creating new ways of working and driving scale and speed to deliver exponential growth. Focused and committed, and backed with the investment to succeed, we’re driving cross-company change to disrupt the entire industry.
SO, WHAT NEXT?
Are you up for an exciting challenge and ready for making a difference? If so, hit Apply today - we can't wait to hear from you!
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements.
AstraZeneca requires all US employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 but will consider requests for reasonable accommodations as required by applicable law.