Scientist 1, Downstream- Frederick, MD
Scientist I – Frederick, MD- Downstream Manufacturing Operations
At AstraZeneca, we work together across global boundaries to make an impact and find answers to challenges. We do this with the upmost integrity even in the most difficult situations because we are committed to doing the right thing.
Our Frederick facility creates life-changing medicines for people around the world. We make a direct contribution to treating people with cancer, respiratory and autoimmune conditions across the globe. From catered site festivities to competitive events, community outreach activities, environmental and wellness showcases and team-building events, we take time to recognize our achievements.
The Frederick Manufacturing Center is dedicated to building a culture of inclusion and collaboration. We host yearly Inclusion and Diversity conferences and have an employee resource group dedicated to promoting diversity and inclusion and improving employees' professional development through interactive and engaging events and initiatives. We are also an award-winning employer and has been recognized as a ‘Top 50’ Business in Frederick, and Frederick County’s ‘Best Place to Work’ distinction in 2015 and 2019.
The Scientist I play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients’ lives. The primary focus of this position is downstream commercial support and downstream technology transfer for clinical molecules into the Frederick Manufacturing Center (FMC). In addition lab work may be required to support tech transfer deliverables.
What you’ll do:
You will be responsible for conducting or participating in technically fast paced projects within your specific area or field, including the following:
- Supports commercial production and technology transfer of manufacturing processes to commercial facility.
- Conducts process performance monitoring; conceptualization and implementation of process improvement strategies; and development of process models.
- Conducts or participates simultaneously in multiple projects that range in different complexities and technically demanding within a specific area/field.
- Initiates, implements, plans, directs, and executes investigations to resolve deviations, understand process trends, and/or improve process performance.
- Responsible for balancing day-to-day technical support for manufacturing operations and longer-term projects or investigations.
- Responsible for maintaining technical expertise on several process unit operations the upstream manufacturing process.
- Serves as mentor and positive role model to other associates or lab personnel with occasional supervision of lower-level scientists or associates.
- Responsible for writing sections of regulatory documents and representing operations during regulatory inspections.
Essential for the role:
- Bachelor’s Degree preferably in Science or Engineering. Master’s Degree or PhD preferred.
- At least six(6) years of experience in Scientific / Biotech / Pharmaceutical field with a BS or four(4) years of experience with a MS or one(1) year of experience with a PhD.
- Downstream commercial support and/or purification process experience required.
- Working knowledge of Biologics and/or relevant work experience in purification of large molecules in therapeutic antibodies, vaccines or injectables.
- Previous experience with statistical analysis and/or modeling: JMP, Minitab, SIMCA, and/or Discoverant is a plus
- Knowledge of GMP manufacturing principles and documentation
- Ability to apply critical thinking to solve problems and work independently
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change, we seize it and make it happen, because any opportunity no matter how small, can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing medicines is about being entrepreneurial - finding those moments and recognizing their potential. Join us on our journey of building a new kind of organization to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we’re opening new ways to work, groundbreaking cutting edge methods and bringing unexpected teams together. Interested? Come and join our journey.
Next Steps – Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law.
AstraZeneca has taken critical steps to protecting colleagues, loved ones, and patients from COVID-19 and its variants. COVID-19 vaccination is required for all US employees, and weekly PCR COVID-19 testing is required for those who are unvaccinated or have an approved accommodation
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.